PDA

View Full Version : >4Gig RAM For XP?

SurferJoe46
27-07-2008, 04:09 AM
I have an expansion card that takes up to 8 sticks of RAM. I also have a full maxed-out compliment of 4Gig in the MOBO slots.

Can I install 8Gig worth of RAM on that card and use it as a paging file area?

I know the processor and XP will try to bottle neck it and deny the extra Gig, but is there a work-around to get it to crunch vid files like a SSD?

Right now the crunch-rip time for vids is getting longer and longer...paging, writing, reading, dumping, paging, writing, reading, dumping, paging, writing, reading, dumping, etc.

Would like to lower the electron use and the heat factors, not to mention the spinning and head searches.

I have dedicated just one 40G hdd for the paging area (10,000RPM Ultra) but it doesn't seem to help.

I have also moved the Windows OPSYS and paging area to the same dedicated hdd to get closer to the <root> and that seemed to help a little. I am keeping everything but the UPDATES and HotFixes outta that <root> hdd...but that isn't really what I want to do.

Speedy Gonzales
27-07-2008, 08:49 AM
I doubt it. It'd probably be better if you had a mobo that supports up to 16 GB.

And a x64 version of Windows. Or some OS that supports that amount of ram

Then you wouldnt have to use the extra 8 GB (I dont think you can anyway), as a paging file. Since there's no option for it

Trev
27-07-2008, 09:20 AM
This is an article from MS on how to get 4gb working on XP 32 bit systems.
Don't know whether it well work for you.
http://www.microsoft.com:80/whdc/system/platform/server/PAE/PAEdrv.mspx
:)

PaulD
27-07-2008, 09:55 AM
I'm not even sure that RAM will help, most video stuff is limited by processor or drive speed.

Sweep
27-07-2008, 10:08 AM
You might investigate using a RAM disk for the paging file. Remember RAM is volatile and will not hold the contents if you lose power.

somebody
27-07-2008, 10:20 AM
Are you sure the expansion card actually gives you more RAM for your motherboard, or just a high-speed "disk drive" like this: http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Storage/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=2180

Poppa John
27-07-2008, 10:38 AM
I am not being a smarta..e here. But I wish I knew what you guys are talking about ! PJ

beeswax34
27-07-2008, 03:03 PM
I am not being a smarta..e here. But I wish I knew what you guys are talking about ! PJ

What SJ has is more RAM (8GB) than a 32bit XP system can see and use (3.5-4GB). So what he would like to do is allocate the extra 4GB of RAM that he has and use it as a very very high speed HDD (not going to happen) so that when he processes videos etc, it becomes a lot faster (not really, since what he needs is a faster processor)

SurferJoe46
27-07-2008, 06:15 PM
What SJ has is more RAM (8GB) than a 32bit XP system can see and use (3.5-4GB). So what he would like to do is allocate the extra 4GB of RAM that he has and use it as a very very high speed HDD (not going to happen) so that when he processes videos etc, it becomes a lot faster (not really, since what he needs is a faster processor)

OK...I get the point..youse guys and your gamer stuff! Sheesh!

I figger that since it USED to work well..but now it has slowed down a LOT......well..I think it was a good idea anyway! So there!

Really...DVD Shrink has seemed to lose a lot of steam recently..say in the last 4 or 5 months. What used to take minutes now takes a full hour or two.

Maybe it's better encryption...I donnow.

Hey...maybe I can do this with a handful of SD cards! Huh?

Anyone got an expansion card that'll hold 200 2G SD cards?

Speedy Gonzales
27-07-2008, 06:25 PM
Well with SD cards most of them probably dont like NTFS.

Which is probably what you need. Otherwise, you'll have to cut your ripped whatever in 1/2 so they'll fit on one SD card.

PaulD
27-07-2008, 06:40 PM
Really...DVD Shrink has seemed to lose a lot of steam recently..say in the last 4 or 5 months. What used to take minutes now takes a full hour or two.

Have you changed any settings? Doing "Deep Analysis" before re-encoding gives better results but takes much longer.

SurferJoe46
27-07-2008, 06:52 PM
Have you changed any settings? Doing "Deep Analysis" before re-encoding gives better results but takes much longer.

Hmmmmmmmm?!?

Gonna check that one out..thanks!!!!!!