PDA

View Full Version : quick suggestion for DVDrw install ?

Glimmer
27-07-2008, 01:31 AM
I just replaced my old master CD-RW with a new ASUS 2014 DVD writer. I followed instructions carefully (grounded/ power off) and the new drive was already jumper set to master. I carefully reconnected the cables to the same positions as before.

My PC won't boot up but has power running to it and there is a brief flicker of light on the new drive LED at each attempt. There is absolutely no signal to monitor. I reinstalled old CD drive and PC is running normally again. I didn't even get around to using the CD-rom as slave yet so its not like I've gotten to the point of trying to run both drives. Any suggestions ?

(I'm running 6 yr old Celeron 1.80 ghz CPU with 256 ram running Home XP)

drcspy
27-07-2008, 05:01 AM
try changing the jumper to c/s

Glimmer
28-07-2008, 11:29 PM
The "C/S" jumper setting didn't work, but...

I changed the jumper to "Slave" and the PC boots up with the new drive inside it , but it doesn't recognise the DVD player. There was no automatic XP install of the drive as stated in the manual when I powered up, and I can't find the relevant link to manually installl a DVD drive in the "add hardware" wizard.

The DVD drive does open/eject & its LED light blinks away happily when a disc is placed inside. I'm hoping there is just some communication issues between PC & DVD drive that has to be resolved somehow.

It's still the only optical drive in the system so far; I haven't added the original CD drive back in.

Speedy Gonzales
28-07-2008, 11:37 PM
You shouldnt have to add a dvd in Windows.

If its connected properly, either on Master or Slave.

Windows should detect it and use it

Try another IDE cable and make sure its connected properly (the red line to pin 1 on the dvd and the mobo).

Also make sure, (depending on what IDE channel/connection the DVD is on), that its on AUTO. If the BIOS has an AUTO option.

Glimmer
02-08-2008, 07:37 PM
Apparently my 6 yr old motherboard can't cope with the new hardware despite running Home XP OS. The BIOS is cool, but Windows is just not communicating.
Damn. I only have USB 1.0 so any external DVD options will seriously underperform. Looks like a new PC if I want to have any DVD player.

Speedy Gonzales
02-08-2008, 07:45 PM
Whats the brand/model of the motherboard?

Glimmer
02-08-2008, 11:26 PM
I can't get any manufacturer info from the systems device table; all I can find is "Device Instance ID: ACPI\PNP0C02\1"

drcspy
03-08-2008, 03:14 AM
Apparently my 6 yr old motherboard can't cope with the new hardware

extremely unlikely.......try the drive in another pc

Trev
03-08-2008, 09:25 AM
I hope this is not a dumb question. You know there are 2 versions of this drive a Sata one and an IDE. You are not trying to connect the wrong one.
:)

gary67
03-08-2008, 09:57 AM
download belarc advisor from here (http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html) it will tell you what motherboard you have

Trev
03-08-2008, 10:25 AM
As too my above question, I do realise that a Sata cable and IDE cable are completely differant and you can't or shouldn't be able to get the 2 confused.
Anyway the back of the IDE version and Sata version are completely differant.
:)

Jen
03-08-2008, 10:46 AM
You may just have a faulty DVD drive. You can check this by trying to install it in another computer, otherwise take it back and get a replacement.

Agent_24
03-08-2008, 11:51 AM
Could be faulty drive or some strange bug in your BIOS

identifying a motherboard with software is only as good as what the manufacturers have programmed into the board's BIOS. when that's wrong/incomplete/generic (just series name and not specific model etc) then the software fails.

You already know how to open the PC so just pull the side off again and look at the board itself. Most boards have the name/number printed between expansion slots somewhere.

gary67
03-08-2008, 12:04 PM
True most do but occasionally they don't I had one here recently a NEC that didn't have the mobo name on the mobo I traced it using Belarc. It was a gigabyte but not listed on their site anywhere not even under archived boards for it on Hewlett Packard's site as they make NEC comps

Glimmer
03-08-2008, 11:20 PM
According to Belarc my motherboard is: THEPCCOMPANY SiS-650, 100 mHz.
BIOS: Award Software International, Inc. 6.00 PG 04/29/2002.

Just to reiterate; I had a PC tech guy come up and have a go at installing the DVDRW (Asus DRW-2014L1 PATA LSC),. He spent 90 minutes having a go and all I really found out was that my motherboard didn't want to tell Win XP a DVDRW had been installed.

I also have 256 MB memory installed...not enough ? I don't really push my PC as I'm not a gamer.

feersumendjinn
03-08-2008, 11:56 PM
Perhaps insufficient power from the PSU?
Faulty drive?
Faulty motherboard? (leaking capacitors?, is about the right age).
Ram shouldnt be the problem (though you could do with more), do a Memtest (http://www.memtest.org/)to check tho.

utopian201
04-08-2008, 10:58 AM
is there anything else on the other end of the ide cable? I tried installing a harddrive as primary slave, but it wouldnt get recognised becase my hard drive on the primary master had been set to as a single drive configuration.

Speedy Gonzales
04-08-2008, 11:04 AM
If you jumpered both hdds and put them on AUTO in the BIOS, Windows should have picked them up

Agent_24
04-08-2008, 12:47 PM
According to Belarc my motherboard is: THEPCCOMPANY SiS-650, 100 mHz.
BIOS: Award Software International, Inc. 6.00 PG 04/29/2002.

Just to reiterate; I had a PC tech guy come up and have a go at installing the DVDRW (Asus DRW-2014L1 PATA LSC),. He spent 90 minutes having a go and all I really found out was that my motherboard didn't want to tell Win XP a DVDRW had been installed.

I also have 256 MB memory installed...not enough ? I don't really push my PC as I'm not a gamer.

That's just a generic description - obviously your computer (or at least the motherboard) was made by/made for "The PC Company" - it uses an SiS650 Chipset and your FSB or RAM is 100mhz.

Can you check the motherboard itself? to see if there is any useful numbers on it?

256MB is certainly enough - to detect a DVD drive.