PDA

View Full Version : Reformatting my Toshiba lappy

R.M.
26-07-2008, 06:55 PM
I'm working myself up to reformatting/reinstalling Windows XP Pro on my laptop (some of you will remember I did the same on my desktop a few monts ago).

My laptop is a Toshiba Satellite A100 PSAA9A-046004. I could use the Recovery Disc, but for a number of reasons I would prefer not to do this. At the time of purchase of the laptop I paid Microsoft $45 (I think) for a copy of Windows XP Pro (with a legitimate number, of course).

I would need to get drivers - and when I look on the Toshiba site, I don't think they are there for that model. I can find them on another site - but am not sure which ones to use (there are about 10 options - 7 for Windows XP and 3 for BIOS).

There are a couple of Toshiba utilities I would like to reinstall/use - mainly about power supply usage (I use my lappy for club displays/shows). Is there anywhere I can get these from?

So - at the end of all that there are 2 questions:
1.Where do I get from, and which drivers do I need for my laptop?
2.Where (as an alternative to using the Recovery Disc) can I get same or similar utilities for my Toshiba laptop?

As always - I appreciate the help I get on this forum! :)

Cheers
R.M.

wainuitech
26-07-2008, 07:16 PM
Go to Toshiba Site (http://www.toshiba.com.au/) - work through the selector, and you will find ALL the drivers for that laptop. XP are down the bottom of the page.

It wont allow a direct link to the page, so open the link above ---

1. Mobile computing

2. On the left top, you have products then support, click on Support

3. About the center of the page up top- Download Center / Drivers, BIOS etc

4. you will get 3 selector windows - select Notebook - next window on the right, Satellite - next window A100 PSAA9A press GO on the right.

Scroll down and download ALL the XP drivers you want.

pctek
26-07-2008, 07:50 PM
I
My laptop is a Toshiba Satellite A100 PSAA9A-046004. I could use the Recovery Disc, but for a number of reasons I would prefer not to do this.

Why not?
Easier to use it then uninstall all the clutter you don't want.
Then Ghost it.

R.M.
26-07-2008, 08:21 PM
Go to Toshiba Site (http://www.toshiba.com.au/) - work through the selector, and you will find ALL the drivers for that laptop. XP are down the bottom of the page.

Thanks for that (when I Googled, I got a site which didn't have my particular laptop on it!).

R.M.
26-07-2008, 08:26 PM
Why not?
Easier to use it then uninstall all the clutter you don't want.
Then Ghost it.

Because.... When I tried to install a particular programme that I use, on the laptop - no matter what I did, it wouldn't install. But it installed no probs on my desktop. In desparation, I thought it might be 'something about the Toshiba' setup. A clean install would allow me to test that theory - flawed though it may be!

Cheers (and aren't you glad we live in the South tonight - not up North. Sympathies from us to you though).

Burnzee
27-07-2008, 01:30 AM
Hi

Easy, here's how.

1. Download and install DRIVERMAX (http://www.innovative-sol.com/drivermax/). This is free.

2. Run DRIVERMAX. The program will allow you to identify all the drivers on your Toshi and update them if you want.

3. Use DRIVERMAX to export copies of your drivers to a folder of your choosing.

4. Burn this folder on to CD, along with a copy of the DRIVERMAX setup file.

5. Reformat and install XP Pro.

6. Reinstall DRIVERMAX and import the drivers into your computer.

7. Done.

Like I said, easy!!

BURNZEE

R.M.
27-07-2008, 08:28 AM
Thanks for that - will have a look today. :)

pctek
27-07-2008, 09:24 AM
Because.... When I tried to install a particular programme that I use, on the laptop - no matter what I did, it wouldn't install.

Cheers (and aren't you glad we live in the South tonight - not up North.
Which program? What error did it give?

Husband is up North at the moment - he's meant to come back today, he might be stuck there........

R.M.
27-07-2008, 09:36 AM
CS3 - no error given, just didn't happen. Tried cleansing the registry (in the manner recommended, with the tool recommended), uninstalled CS2 (inspite of the fact that they work happily together on the desktop), no results.

My hubby is out on the golf course this morning... However, he's a Scotsman - so he's used to it I suppose. Hope your's arrives on time. :)

wainuitech
27-07-2008, 10:48 AM
Drivermax is OK, but just be warned, you may have to go through and select what drivers you want to put back, and there will be plenty of them.

I used drivermax once and it put back damaged drivers which it had exported. The PC was crashing and I suspected it was a driver issue, which was why I decided to reinstall the OS, after drivermax put the drivers back I was right back where I started with the original problem - so my original thoughts were correct.

I thought "to save a bit of time I'd give it a go" and see if it was actually something else anyway.
In the end I ended up reinstalling again and downloading new drivers from the manufactures.

R.M.
27-07-2008, 11:16 AM
Right - noted. :badpc:

Thanks.

Burnzee
27-07-2008, 01:01 PM
Hi RM

If you have the Synaptics Touch Pad then save this folder separately. DriverMax will not do this. Use Windows to update first.

Whilst I have the greatest respect for Wainuitech, I really must take him to task over his reply.

Drivermax is OK, but just be warned, you may have to go through and select what drivers you want to put back, and there will be plenty of them

Yes, but you have to do this anyway. DriverMax makes it easy. One click, Select All!! Assuming of course, you want the lot. If not, no problem, click the right boxes.

I used drivermax once and it put back damaged drivers which it had exported. The PC was crashing and I suspected it was a driver issue, which was why I decided to reinstall the OS, after drivermax put the drivers back I was right back where I started with the original problem - so my original thoughts were correct.

The EXPORT function in DriverMax just copies the driver files already in your computer. If these are faulty to start with then importing them back to your new installation will NOT change that. This is why I suggested you use DriverMax to update all your drivers. After doing this, use your computer for a while to make sure everything is correct before doing the new install.

In the end I ended up reinstalling again and downloading new drivers from the manufacturers.

Not necessary in the latest version of DriverMax. This now allows you to update and install easily. Earlier versions did not.

Finally, you might think by my enthusiasm for DriverMax, I have shares in the company. I don't. I have used this program for quite a while now and it has proved it's worth time and time again. Why anybody would want to muck around manually updating and installing drivers is beyond me.

Give it a go. If you want to be extra careful, get DriverMax to backup your existing drivers first before updating. Save on CD.

Hope this helps.

BURNZEE

wainuitech
27-07-2008, 02:29 PM
In reply to Burnzee's comments - it was only a warning, the best time to use drivermax is on a fresh install, or when you know there is not problems.

The only reason I tried it was because there were several programs causing problems, and it was 50/50 if it were motherboard/hardware drivers or other software problems.

While that program is Ok most of the time, for someone who has not used it before it could be a bit daunting.

personally I never trust any of those programs for keeping drivers upto date, a classic example is MS updates, some cause more problems than they fix.

The best course is always to get the drivers from the manufactures.

Why anybody would want to muck around manually updating and installing drivers is beyond me In this line of work when repairing PC's, most of the time the drivers are damaged on the PC's any way, and the chance of customers having used any sort of back up is usually Nil.

If the PC will boot, there is no point in saving damaged drivers.

R.M.
27-07-2008, 03:09 PM

Right - I downloaded ALL those pertaining to XP and burnt them onto a disk.
The chipset, sound, LAN - I need those, anything else that is vital?

Now - there is a 'right' order to install these isn't there?

I also see utilities, such as 'Utilities' and 'Power saver' - and some of them I won't need?

Burnzee
27-07-2008, 03:39 PM
Hi RM

If you are manually downloading the drivers and have decided to not use Drivermax, be very careful. Just downloading XP drivers is seriously going to inpair the functionally of your Toshi A/100. For instance, if you don't download the Toshiba Hotkey Utility, the function keys will not work!! This means you won't be able to control screen contrast, brightnesss etc. The function keys have many other functions as well.

There are many other Toshiba utilities which are vital too.

Download every driver. Save them on CD. Then you have a copy of them at least.

If you don't do this you will end up with heaps more problems than yah have now!!

BURNZEE

wainuitech
27-07-2008, 03:49 PM
Generally speaking I install in the following Order -

Chipset , Graphic, Audio, LAN - then anything else that is required.

The chipset should be installed first, and the others in what ever you want, the reason I install graphics second is sometimes the resolution wont come down to a good size beforehand, and its easier to work on.

Looking at the site I see there is two graphics Depending on what your laptop has will depend on what you use, I'm suspecting its the ATI graphics, going by the description on them, there is usually a sticker on the Laptop saying whats in as well.

Regarding the Utility drivers I'd suggest them all, as they do different functions.

What you should do , is once its all up and going download DriveMax and export/burn to CD for future needs.

Edited:
Out of interest I have just used the latest Driver max to upgrade a PC I use for testing in the workshop since it was mentioned to be better now, it located / updated drivers - :mad: - guess what - screwed the system and now I'm having to reinstall the OS or I may just do a roll back if I can get into restore, as its blue screening on bootup. Lucky I have an image of the workshop PC's and it will only take 10 minutes.

R.M.
27-07-2008, 04:14 PM
Out of interest I have just used the latest Driver max to upgrade a PC I use for testing in the workshop since it was mentioned to be better now, it located / updated drivers - :mad: - guess what - screwed the system and now I'm having to reinstall the OS or I may just do a roll back if I can get into restore, as its blue screening on bootup. Lucky I have an image of the workshop PC's and it will only take 10 minutes.

That's interesting. I'll note that, and thanks for the order of operations. I certainly plan to take an image when I'm done. The one I made of my desktop - I've used three times already. Great time saver, and a great way to get out of some of my pickles!

Cheers :)