PDA

View Full Version : XP- Audio Plays FASTER Than Normal & 8Gb Ram Q's- Help!!

WESTCOAST
26-07-2008, 02:06 PM
Hi Guys i have just updated my PC and i have a few q's regarding trouble ive had in the last day once i upgraded...

I have a Creative sound blaster x-fi fatality soundcard with front interface also...the pc was always re-bootin non stop BSOD was coming up and we figured it was cause the VGA & soundcard were on the same IRQ channel...so we changed the soundcard slot so we could use a new channel and the pc stopped re-bootin but i have the following problems...

Sound on all devices inc. itunes plays at a higher bpm like chipmunks...no idea why??

My wireless mouse (Logitech Bluetooth) is not accurate and i have never had this drama before (no settings have been changed at all)

I upgraded my exisitng windows xp service pack 2 and kept my original hard drives with windows & an extra drive i had with music...i pretty much changed everything on my pc apart from soundcard and 2 hard drives...

What i have.........

asus p5q-pro (EPU) p45 motherboard
intel Q6600 2.40ghz quad
kinston hyperx CL5 ddr2 800 (8gb Ram, which windows wont find and only uses a max of 3.50 WHY!!!!!!!)
sata 640gb h/disk
asus pci-e 512mb 8800gt vga
750 watt coolermaster pro power supply
antec nine hundred tower

I use programs such as photoshop, Reason 2.5, Ableton Live 6, Adobe Audition 3, Acoustica mp3 mixer, and a few other music related programs so audio is important...thanks for any help......:crying

DeSade
26-07-2008, 02:09 PM
Is your XP 32bit or 64bit?

XP will ONLY use 3.5 gig of ram as its a 32bit system mostly, some have the 64bit XP but its quite rare really.
Sounds like you have 32bit system.

No idea about your sound problem

PS Vista comes in 32 and 64bit also so if you upgrade get 64bit as your wasting 4.5 gig of ram.

WESTCOAST
26-07-2008, 02:11 PM
Is your XP 32bit or 64bit?

XP will ONLY use 3.5 gig of ram as its a 32bit system mostly, some have the 64bit XP but its quite rare really.
Sounds like you have 32bit system.

No idea about your sound problem

PS Vista comes in 32 and 64bit also so if you upgrade get 64bit as your wasting 4.5 gig of ram.

Yeah i only have win 32....in saying that though do you think the extra ram is causing a problem???

DeSade
26-07-2008, 02:14 PM
It could be, I would be hesitant to say that thou.
Really the extra should just sit there unused.

Only way to be sure is to take it out and test.

WESTCOAST
26-07-2008, 02:17 PM
It could be, I would be hesitant to say that thou.
Really the extra should just sit there unused.

Only way to be sure is to take it out and test.
coo i guess i can try but i have no idea why the sound is speed up like that though, i wonder why...on that note i personally prefer MAC and was lookin at mac pro but for the price i stuck with windows and now im kinda starting to regret it...if i update to 64 in any of these OS wont i lose alot of my programs....also i read the ihpone isnt compatible with windows 64 OS

Speedy Gonzales
26-07-2008, 02:22 PM
Did you disable the onboard soundcard in the BIOS?

WESTCOAST
26-07-2008, 02:23 PM
Did you disable the onboard soundcard in the BIOS? my friend actually did everything so im not 100% sure on that? what would i need to do?

Speedy Gonzales
26-07-2008, 02:27 PM
Go into the BIOS (might be the DEL key).

After you reboot. Find the audio screen, if its enabled, disable it then save the settings. Then reboot

gary67
26-07-2008, 02:29 PM
You would need to go into the BIOS pressing f8 or delete or whatever your motherboard tells you to press on startup but you have to be quick then navigate through the settings looking for an option to disable on-board sound

WESTCOAST
26-07-2008, 02:37 PM
jus did so and it was already disabled...on that note before i upgraded my pc my system shutdown, start up and rubbish bin sounds did not work...they still dont and i have tried the control panel options and can set it and save the default windows/personalised settings yet those sounds dont wor...but i didnt have the chipmunk related problem ive got now?

WESTCOAST
26-07-2008, 02:51 PM
would u guys advise for me to get full potential out of my ram upgrade to vista 64? etc as im sick of xp ...lol windows in general

Speedy Gonzales
26-07-2008, 03:01 PM
I would make sure there are drivers for x64 if you do.

Otherwise nothing will work, besides Windows

WESTCOAST
26-07-2008, 03:04 PM
I would make sure there are drivers for x64 if you do.

Otherwise nothing will work, besides Windows

all my stuff is new and vista compatible as far as my vga, soundcard, motherboard and most of the main programs are concerned...would most of the programs that are genrally on vista 32 work on 64?

wainuitech
26-07-2008, 03:16 PM
Try this - go into Start/Control Panel / Double click Sounds and audio Devices / Under the Audio Tab, there will be a drop down box, make sure the sound blaster is selected as the default play back device.

If it is, you may need to uninstall the audio drivers and reinstall them again.

gary67
26-07-2008, 03:17 PM
If your comfortable moving to Vista its up to you really, I don't use it much prefer XP my system is stable, secure and fast why would I bloat it. I think the programs are not an issue on 64 bit bit not 100% sure google them. You could even try Linux since its free

WESTCOAST
26-07-2008, 03:21 PM
Try this - go into Start/Control Panel / Double click Sounds and audio Devices / Under the Audio Tab, there will be a drop down box, make sure the sound blaster is selected as the default play back device.

If it is, you may need to uninstall the audio drivers and reinstall them again.

yeah it is set as default

Speedy Gonzales
26-07-2008, 03:29 PM
Are you using the front or back audio ports to listen to audio?

If the front, whats it connected to? The mobo or this creative card?

wainuitech
26-07-2008, 03:33 PM
Check this as well under sound and audio devices---

Click Speaker Volume Tab

CLICK ADVANCED ( down the bottom on Speakers)
CLICK PERFORMANCE
PUT HARDWARE ACCELERATION FULL
PUTSAMPLE RATE CONVERSION QUALITY AS BEST. O.K
REBOOT COMPUTER

OR click the restore defaults.

WESTCOAST
26-07-2008, 03:40 PM
Are you using the front or back audio ports to listen to audio?

If the front, whats it connected to? The mobo or this creative card?

the speakers are connected at the rear of my sound card, the front interface has midi ports and headphone jack etc which work fine its more the general windows thats the problem...i also did check the settings and they were all set on the speaker advanced sections as above i will re boot and see what happens...i doubt it will change anything

WESTCOAST
26-07-2008, 03:45 PM
Check this as well under sound and audio devices---

Click Speaker Volume Tab

CLICK ADVANCED ( down the bottom on Speakers)
CLICK PERFORMANCE
PUT HARDWARE ACCELERATION FULL
PUTSAMPLE RATE CONVERSION QUALITY AS BEST. O.K
REBOOT COMPUTER

OR click the restore defaults.

done, no change what so ever...this is really gettin outta control lol :help:

wainuitech
26-07-2008, 04:20 PM
Next thing I would try is uninstalling the audio drivers,Reboot - then reinstalling the drivers in case they got corrupted

Speedy Gonzales
26-07-2008, 04:25 PM
And make sure the onboard sound drivers are uninstalled.

If you installed them previously

autechre
28-07-2008, 09:27 AM
Make sure you have the latest drivers installed - video & soundcard. Sometimes this fault gets fixed with newer drivers than the ones that come with the card.

WESTCOAST
28-07-2008, 12:01 PM
No idea what it was but it was reinstalled and when i opened Ableton or Adobe audtion the chipmunks came back...so i re-installed eveything and so far so good but now i have a vista issue!

Speedy Gonzales
28-07-2008, 12:12 PM
And the vista issue is what??

WESTCOAST
28-07-2008, 12:13 PM
And the vista issue is what??

http://forums.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?t=92071

thanks for the help by the way buddy! :badpc:
i ended up upgrading to vista over this issue with the sound also! so i have a newly formatted pc with vista 32 and have been installin my programs again

Speedy Gonzales
28-07-2008, 12:18 PM
Oops yup, just noticed the other post