PDA

View Full Version : Never ending loop of crashes on startup

av4tarnz
26-07-2008, 12:38 AM
My computer recently started failing to start-up at times and today it just won't start at all, except for going into safe mode. I noticed a message saying 'Detect drives done, no any drives found' and now this is always followed by a BSOD in which I can make out 'Bad_Pool_Caller' in the brief space of time that it is up on screen.
I'm using a OEM version of Vista 32 bit and I don't recall ever having this problem before installing SP1, which I did within the last two weeks.
This is my system:

Q6600 CPU
Asus P5K-E motherboard
2GB Crucial Ballistix 800MHZ DDR2 RAM
XFX 8800GTS 640MB GPU
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB HDD
Asus DRW-1814BLT DVD Writer
Vista Ultimate 32bit OEM

What do I do to go about fixing this?

Thanks
Av4tarnz

zcc
26-07-2008, 12:52 AM
Did you google "bad pool caller" with the quotes...
http://www.pcfixreview.com/blog/2007/07/12/bad-pool-caller/

av4tarnz
26-07-2008, 02:30 AM
Thanks for that link zcc. No, I hadn't used quotes when I did a search.
I'm pretty much on my own on this one, I've moved from Auckland to Melbourne and the computer was sent over to me and I can't justify sending it back.

I expect I'll be back with more questions soon.....

Speedy Gonzales
26-07-2008, 07:20 AM
HOW did you get SP1??

Did you use automatic updates, or download SP1 manually then install it??

Did it install completely?

Is it bad pool caller, or bad pool header you're seeing?

av4tarnz
26-07-2008, 01:24 PM
Hi Speedy
My computer is still set to automatically download from Windows Update.
How do you tell if SP1 is fully installed? When I right click on 'Computer' and go to 'Properties', the 'System' window says that SP1 is installed, is there more to it than that?
I'm 99% sure that it's bad pool caller, I understand there is some way of having that BSOD stay on screen so I can see what it says so I'll do that and make sure.

Speedy Gonzales
26-07-2008, 01:33 PM
My computer is still set to automatically download from Windows Update.

Thats probably the main reason. A lot of people (who used Auto updates for SP1), had a similar prob. Its better to download SP1 manually

I have no idea about SP1 for Vista. I dont use Vista

Will it boot into safe mode??

av4tarnz
26-07-2008, 07:02 PM
Yes, it will start up in safe mode.

The website which wcc gave link to in his post suggested unplugging all USB devices, I don't have any other than the keyboard and mouse. I unplugged these but that didn't make any difference.
It also suggested searching the error codes that appear, which I will look into.

wainuitech
26-07-2008, 07:33 PM
Try starting in safe mode, open system restore and run it back to before the install of SP1, it should automatically have made a restore point.

Download the service pack, or run it Via windows Live update, not auto updates. A download will be better.

Before you try to manually install it, disable all antivirus and antispyware programs, they can cause the service packs not to install.

av4tarnz
26-07-2008, 07:44 PM
I've now set my computer to not restart on a crash so I can read the error on the BSOD, this is what it says:

stop: 0x000000c2 (0x00000007, 0x0000110b, 0x00020205, 0xc79226f8)

I restarted to see if the same error comes up and it has just started up without any problems, stupid computer.
I'll try out a restore point and see what that does.....

wainuitech
26-07-2008, 07:48 PM
The article relates to XP, but it should be the same for Vista - you may want to update all your device drivers before attempting to install SP1.

Stop 0xC2 or BAD_POOL_CALLER

The Stop 0xC2 message indicates that a kernel-mode process or driver incorrectly attempted to perform memory operations in the following ways:

By allocating a memory pool size of zero bytes.
By allocating a memory pool that does not exist.
By attempting to free a memory pool that is already free.
By allocating or freeing a memory pool at an IRQL that was too high.

This Stop message is typically due to a faulty driver or software.

Possible Resolutions:

A Stop 0xC2 messages might occur after installing a faulty device driver, system service, or firmware. If a Stop message lists a driver by name, disable, remove, or roll back the driver to correct the problem. If disabling or removing drivers resolves the issues, contact the manufacturer about a possible update. Using updated software is especially important for multimedia applications, antivirus scanners, DVD playback, and CD mastering tools.

A Stop 0xC2 messages might also be due to failing or defective hardware. If a Stop message points to a category of devices (such as disk controllers, for example), try removing or replacing the hardware to determine if it is causing the problem.

If you encounter a Stop 0xC2 message while upgrading to Windows XP, the problem might be due to an incompatible driver, system service, virus scanner, or backup. To avoid problems while upgrading, simplify your hardware configuration and remove all third-party device drivers and system services (including virus scanners) prior to running setup. After you have successfully installed Windows XP, contact the hardware manufacturer to obtain compatible updates.

pctek
26-07-2008, 07:49 PM
I'd reinstall your motherboard drivers.

Speedy Gonzales
26-07-2008, 07:51 PM
What firewall is installed (besides Vista's)??

If you use another firewall

av4tarnz
26-07-2008, 08:08 PM
The oldest restore point I found was related to SP1 so I ran that one and on restart a window appeared saying the retore was sucessful. There is no mention of SP1 on the 'System' window.
I've also set my computer to only check for updates.
I haven't installed another firewall on the computer and I have only been using it online to update Windows etc.
I'll do another restart to see what happens....

av4tarnz
27-07-2008, 05:35 PM
The computer is running again without any problems, I'll try downloading SP1 and installing it myself as suggested.
Thanks all for your help
Av4tarnz