PDA

View Full Version : USB Printer cable

4Lowie
24-07-2008, 09:23 PM
Hi all. We finally found something to use our flybys on.... a Brother multi function. It didn't come with a printer cable and here's the problem, the cable needs to be a large male (A?) at each end. Where can I get one of these?

Many thanks.

Speedy Gonzales
24-07-2008, 09:27 PM
If its new, it should have one. Go back to the shop and ask for it

It'll look like this (http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/488840ec04eff9b82740c0a87f3b072f/Product/View/XH6791)

I've got the same cable and probably the same printer. It came with it

wainuitech
24-07-2008, 09:28 PM
Places like Dick Smiths or any computer shop should have them.

If its new, it should have one. Go back to the shop and ask for it :groan: Nope ; the trend these days is not to include one.

Most of the manufactures wont put in a cable, if they do its usually make a big song and dance about it and its a 1 Mtr one which is usually just that little bit to short to go to where its required.

If the place selling the printer is decent they may even throw one in for good customer relations - but not always.

All the Brother, HP or Epson printers I have sold in the last 6 months I have had to supply the USB cables as well, they didn't come with any.

Speedy Gonzales
24-07-2008, 09:36 PM
Just make sure once you get the cable, DONT plug it in and turn it on. When you go to install the drivers.

Or else you'll be starting all over again. Install the drivers, and it'll tell you when to plug the cable into a USB port and when to turn the printer on.

Scouse
24-07-2008, 10:03 PM
All the Brother, HP or Epson printers I have sold in the last 6 months I have had to supply the USB cables as well, they didn't come with any Nice one Wainui. :thumbs:
I recently bought a Canon from DSE and had to add about $20 for a 2 metre cable.

wainuitech
24-07-2008, 10:36 PM
All the Brother, HP or Epson printers I have sold in the last 6 months I have had to supply the USB cables as well, they didn't come with any Nice one Wainui. :thumbs:
I recently bought a Canon from DSE and had to add about $20 for a 2 metre cable.

$20 Bucks for a 2Mtr A-B Cable - are you joking :horrified Thats a rip off.

Lets say I give them away with the printers - anything under 5 Mtrs

zqwerty
24-07-2008, 10:56 PM
Sad really, the manufacturers expecting to sell the product without the connecting cables being supplied by them as part of the purchase, I wonder why the economy is failing?

Had to come back and add:

ludicrous and preposterous

CYaBro
24-07-2008, 11:46 PM
Isn't it against the CGA to sell a printer without the USB/parallel cable?
If the customer doesn't get a cable with the printer then the printer isn't fit for the purpose it was sold as it won't work without one!

gary67
25-07-2008, 07:33 AM
Yes what a rip off I have not bought a printer without insisting they give me a cable if the will not I go elsewhere, it's like buying a car with no seatbelts

wainuitech
25-07-2008, 08:46 AM
Isn't it against the CGA to sell a printer without the USB/parallel cable?
If the customer doesn't get a cable with the printer then the printer isn't fit for the purpose it was sold as it won't work without one! As far as I know none of the manufactures include the cable, and any of them that have its only a 1 Mtr cable. Which most of the time is not long enough.

An example of that is both my printers, they require cables 5 Mtrs or there abouts.
If they supplied a 1 Mtr cable it would be hopeless.
Out of the last 4 printers I put in, the cable length minimum was 2 Mtr, longest was 5 Mtr, thats why I give the printer cables away - they are dirt cheap - a standard 2 Mtr A-B , lets say even if I put a 100% markup, you would still get change from $5.00

Scouse
25-07-2008, 10:28 AM
Hi Wainui. Re: $20 Bucks for a 2Mtr A-B Cable - are you joking Thats a rip off. I too felt that way - 10% of the price of the printer. I have the receipt here "DSE Cable USB 2.0 2M XH8178 cost $19.98". From my nearest depot, Richmond, Nelson on 24 June 2008.

seltsam
25-07-2008, 12:02 PM
Saw some in a $2 shop the other day. Whether they work or not is another matter :)

wratterus
25-07-2008, 12:14 PM
$20 Bucks for a 2Mtr A-B Cable - are you joking :horrified Thats a rip off.

Lets say I give them away with the printers - anything under 5 Mtrs

That's awful, yeah. :groan: They would be making around 400% - 500% on that. We generally give them away with a new printer too, or very cheap. They aren't that expencive normally anyway, unless you get them from DS is seems :D

Hi Wainui. Re: $20 Bucks for a 2Mtr A-B Cable - are you joking Thats a rip off. I too felt that way - 10% of the price of the printer. I have the receipt here "DSE Cable USB 2.0 2M XH8178 cost $19.98". From my nearest depot, Richmond, Nelson on 24 June 2008.

:(

pctek
25-07-2008, 12:47 PM
lets say even if I put a 100% markup, you would still get change from $5.00

200% and still have change.

wainuitech
25-07-2008, 02:19 PM
Its the Blue Light (http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/48892d190aff8232273fc0a87f3b06e2/Product/View/XH8178) - added the price, but that's a gimmick - Its called the gold series - that because it's charged like gold.

Generally speaking a Standard USB cable would do exactly the same - But wouldn't glow.

IanS
25-07-2008, 05:22 PM
I bought a Epson C90 printer recently from DSE in Pukekohe, a USB printer cable came with it and the salesman said ALL printers had USB cables with them. Dont know why the situation should be different in different parts of the country.

PaulD
25-07-2008, 08:49 PM
I bought a Epson C90 printer recently from DSE in Pukekohe, a USB printer cable came with it and the salesman said ALL printers had USB cables with them.

That may be true for an Epson C90, Epson make a big deal about the box having everything needed to print included. More expensive Epson don't have anything in the specs saying cable included.

The dealers share the blame, they want to be able to sell overpriced cables as part of the deal.

wainuitech
25-07-2008, 09:08 PM
the salesman said ALL printers had USB cables with them The salesman doesn't know what he's talking about, proof by the fact several people here have said they had / or do supply a cable with a printer.

The printers that do, and its VERY few, always make a big deal about it, and usually only a 1 Mtr. -- whipped de do!

The dealers share the blame, they want to be able to sell overpriced cables as part of the deal. OVERPRICED is the key word there. Not all places over charge, REAL computer places charge a reasonable price.

Reminds me - better order some more.