PDA

View Full Version : Dual Ethernet

bobcmay
24-07-2008, 01:32 PM
I have dual ethernets on 2 computers. The 100megabyte lan is connected to a router and the second gigahertz lan just connects the 2 computers using a crossover cable. How can I use the fast lan to transfer very large files (5 to 20 gigabyte HDTV files)? The routered lan connects to the internet and other computers. One computer has Vista and the other has XP Pro.

wratterus
24-07-2008, 01:36 PM
Welcome to PressF1.

Easiest way is to share the folder with the files you want to transfer (Right click, properties, sharing) and then connect to that PC, and copy the files off.

Quick way of doing that - in the run box, type in \\ and then the name or IP address of the PC you want to connect to.

Example: \\office

or \\192.168.1.7

bobcmay
24-07-2008, 01:55 PM
Thanks, I'll try that, but not now as one of the computers is recording an HDTV program and the transfer might disrupt the recording.

wratterus
24-07-2008, 02:54 PM
Yep, good call. Let us know how you get on.

bobcmay
07-08-2008, 01:46 PM
I just got the 1 gigabit ethenet working. I mapped the folder with the TV files in it, using the IP address of the gigabit ethernet, to drive Y. It may have disabled the other LAN though. I lost my connection to the internet and all file transfers used the 1 gigabit net. I have to look into that further.

Speedy Gonzales
07-08-2008, 03:24 PM
So the cable from the gigabit LAN is going directly to a networked PC with a crossover? And the 10/100 is going to the router?

Which PC lost connection to the net then?? The main or the networked PC?

somebody
07-08-2008, 03:51 PM
It will be an issue with routing tables. The easiest way to (hopefully) resolve this, is to use two different IP subnets.

For example, your 100MBit connection to the router, might use 192.168.1.x, or whatever. For your gigabit connections, use static IPs in the range 10.0.0.x.

So on your first computer, set the IP address for the gigabit network card to 10.0.0.1, and the other comptuer to 10.0.0.2.

bobcmay
14-08-2008, 03:51 AM
Sorry I didn't get back to this thread right away.

To Speedy Gonzalas:

You are right about the LAN connections. The gigabit LAN uses a crossover cable between two of the computers that are on the other 100 megabit LAN. The 100 megabit LAN is connected to the router which is connected to the internet.

The 100 megahertz LAN to the router stopped working when I used the GigaBit LAN to transfer an 8 gigabyte TV file. By the way, it takes about 6 minutes to do the transfer on the gigabit LAN. I think when I tried it on the 100 megabit LAN it took a half hour. I tried it again today and I didn't loose the Router LAN. So it must have been some one time anomaly.

To Somebody:

You are also correct. I mapped a drive using the IP address of the gigabit LAN on each of the computers. That allowed me to transfer the large file on the gigabit LAN. It wasn't necessary to use the IP address of the 100 megabit LAN. I guess because it was already set up.

Again, thanks for your help