PDA

View Full Version : Excel checking to see there are not 2 identical values in the sane column

Morgenmuffel
23-07-2008, 06:10 PM
Hi all

I am sure I have asked for this before and got a good response, however I can't for the life of me find the post, so yea

I have a rather long column with very similar values in it and i just need to check it for duplicates.

any help would be appreciated

jwil1
23-07-2008, 06:16 PM
Sort A-Z?

nofam
23-07-2008, 06:56 PM
Hi Nigel,

I usually do this with conditional formatting - highlight the range on numbers you want to check, and paste the following into the conditional formatting window as a formula is: (make sure you change the absolute references to match the range you want to check)

=COUNTIF($A$1:$A$100,A1)>1

Then just set the formatting to whatever you'd like (I usually just use a solid red pattern)

HTH!!

Morgenmuffel
23-07-2008, 08:06 PM
Sort A-Z?

Thats what I have been doing, but some of the values are rather long and extremely similar and it takesquite a while to check them

Hi Nigel,

I usually do this with conditional formatting - highlight the range on numbers you want to check, and paste the following into the conditional formatting window as a formula is: (make sure you change the absolute references to match the range you want to check)

=COUNTIF($A$1:$A$100,A1)>1Then just set the formatting to whatever you'd like (I usually just use a solid red pattern)

HTH!!

Cheers Nofam that looks exactly like what i need

Now to add some keywords so next time I search it comes up

excel, spreadsheet, calc, doh, idiot, nigel, match, duplicate

That should do it (wonder what that'll do for the google ads on the page)