PDA

View Full Version : How to replace system files?!

WarNox
23-07-2008, 03:56 PM
Hey,

The issue:
There is something wrong with the winlogon.exe (C:/WINDOWS/System32) file and it is causing the computer to keep on rebooting. But the problem is not while using the computer, only while its sitting on the login screen. It will randomly (every 10min or so) go into a blue screen complaining that there is something wrong with the "System Logon ...." and then restart itself and keep repeating the process. And once I log on I'll get the typical windows error message saying that something is wrong with the winlogon.exe file.

Anyway I did research and tried all sorts of scans for viruses, adaware, spyware, registry cleaners and nothing worked. So I re-installed windows but doing only the repair option. This seems to have fixed it.

Ok so my problem is this: I have about 20 computers that I would have to repeat this re-installing process on so I figured I'll just copy the offending file from a working version onto the other ones. But I cannot replace the file because its being used by a process, a process which I cannot end, even in safe mode.

So anyone got any idea how I can replace this file?

Thanks,

Gregor

Speedy Gonzales
23-07-2008, 03:59 PM
Its probably infected with a virus / trojan

The easiest way would be either reinstall / do a clean install. Or connect all of them to a working pc / thats not infected, and copy that file to them

Or use the sfc command, whatever its called. So it can scan all of them and replace whatever file/s

By the sounds of it, none of these are fully up to date

jwil1
23-07-2008, 04:03 PM
This would take a while, but you could slave the HD from each machine into your one, then copy the fixed winlogon on top of the broken winlogon.exe file.

Or you could use a Linux boot CD and copy the file from a USB drive.

MAKE SURE ALL MACHINES HAVE THE SAME SERVICE PACK AND PATCHES APPLIED. This is critical. If a particular patch/service pack has modified the winlogon.exe on one PC and you replace it with another version that has not been modified, you're (probably) screwed.

I assume all the machines are having the same problem as your one is?

If not, there's no needt to do anything.

WarNox
23-07-2008, 04:41 PM
Yeah all the machines have exactly the same everything, hence the same problem too.

The problem is not getting the file to the machines, I can do that, but just replacing it is an issue. I'll have a play with the 'sfc' command and see how that goes.

Thanks again,

Gregor