PDA

View Full Version : Can't change theme

mario99
23-07-2008, 01:24 AM
I cannot change theme (visual style) on my windows xp. When I try to do that, a mistake appears - here's a picture:
http://img410.imageshack.us/my.php?image=greskadp1.png
Reason why I wanted to change a theme is because I thought that the theme caused another problem: after re-installing windows because I had a virus, everything is like small, and many web pages are thight and not streched on whole screen. Here's an example:
http://img386.imageshack.us/my.php?image=premalosd4.png
The letters are too small and that can't be changed by going on View-> text size...
After all, I don't know if the theme is a reason why everything in windows is so small.. but I still want to change a visual style, and I can't.
Does anyone know how to solve this?
P.S. there is no virus or malware - i checked many times.

wainuitech
23-07-2008, 10:49 PM
Welcome to press F1 mario , The themes Services may not be running.

Here's the possible solution:

1. Click Start, click Run, type services.msc, and then click OK.
2. In the list of services, right-click Themes, and then click Properties.
3. On the General tab, click Automatic in the Startup type list.
4. On the General tab, click Start under Service status, and then click OK.
5. Exit Services.

May require a reboot, but try altering the Theme and see what happens now.

The two problems you have may be linked, see if the above works first, for the theme, then see if the second problem is fixed as well.

mario99
24-07-2008, 05:12 AM
I am sorry, but it didn't work.
I tried by downloading a fresh theme file and change a theme using TuneUp Utillities, but then it blocks and nothing happens.
On other forum they suggested me to do a windows install repair, but I did not get further details and I am affraid that I will mess up something. Is that the only solution, and if it is, can someone give me instructions?

wainuitech
24-07-2008, 08:44 AM
Try this first - Click start/Run type in sfc /scannow Press enter, you may need your Windows CD if it asks for it.

If you want to do a repair install do the following:

You will need your 25 digit product key for this.

Place XP CD in drive: Reboot or shutdown and start PC.
1.When the Press any key to boot from CD message is displayed on your screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD.

2.Press ENTER when you see the message To setup Windows XP now, and then press ENTER displayed on the Welcome to Setup screen.

3.Do not choose the option to press R to use the Recovery Console.

4.In the Windows XP Licensing Agreement, press F8 to agree to the license agreement.

5.Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected in the box, and then press R to repair Windows XP.

NOTE: if it doesn't locate your old OS STOP! As any further actions may result in wiping your data.

6.Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Setup.

Edited: You will see a lot of system files being deleted, it will then go though the install Process - at the end you should have a working system and all data / Programs intact.

It pays to back up any data before hand - just in case something goes wrong.