PDA

View Full Version : Two computers from Cable Modem

Pato
22-07-2008, 05:19 PM
I have a Telestra Cable connection via a Motorola Modem using the ethernet socket. I want to run a second PC using the same modem. I understand I can use the USB socket from the modem to the second PC. Once plugged in what action do I have to take. I am not that familiar with modems. Any help appreciated.

wainuitech
22-07-2008, 05:22 PM
You really Need to plug in A router to get the IP split over two PC + PC's.

The USB and Ethernet will both put out the same IP Address, and they usually clash.

It will go Modem-------- Router-------from Router PC1 & PC2 This Picture here Shows The setup (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/router_and_internet_connection.jpg)

Safari
22-07-2008, 05:26 PM
You will need to install the USB drivers from the Motorola CD before you do anything

Pato
22-07-2008, 05:35 PM
You really Need to plug in A router to get the IP split over two PC + PC's.

The USB and Ethernet will both put out the same IP Address, and they usually clash.

It will go Modem-------- Router-------from Router PC1 & PC2 This Picture here Shows The setup (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/router_and_internet_connection.jpg)OIC. Only one computer will be in use at any one time. Do I still need a router and if so what do I look for?. Do I need something expensive. Have you any recommendations?.

Pato
22-07-2008, 05:36 PM
You will need to install the USB drivers from the Motorola CD before you do anythingThanks. I wasn't even clear about that need. Cheers.

wainuitech
22-07-2008, 05:53 PM
OIC. Only one computer will be in use at any one time. Do I still need a router and if so what do I look for?. Do I need something expensive. Have you any recommendations?. Dont have to have expensive, these tp-links work fairly good, never had one fail yet, and Ihave used them for a few years now. This one here (http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=344875) From Ascent - the cable router, is a basic one, easy to setup, they also have wireless but more expensive of course.

If you wanted to only have 1 PC on at a time, then run two Ethernet cables, and unplug the one you dont want to use.

USB is not as good as Ethernet.

Pato
22-07-2008, 06:14 PM
Dont have to have expensive, these tp-links work fairly good, never had one fail yet, and Ihave used them for a few years now. This one here (http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=344875) From Ascent - the cable router, is a basic one, easy to setup, they also have wireless but more expensive of course.

If you wanted to only have 1 PC on at a time, then run two Ethernet cables, and unplug the one you dont want to use.

USB is not as good as Ethernet.OK. Is it really necessary to unplug one of the Ethernet cables?. I wanted to avoid this but I guess if that is the best way to do it then so be it.

wainuitech
22-07-2008, 07:13 PM
OK. Is it really necessary to unplug one of the Ethernet cables?. I wanted to avoid this but I guess if that is the best way to do it then so be it. If there is a router between the Modem and computers you dont need to unplug anything, unless of course one is a laptop that is moved around.

Its not always to good to continually unplugging the connections, after a while they can become lose and cause connectivity problems due to wear.

Pato
22-07-2008, 08:08 PM
If there is a router between the Modem and computers you dont need to unplug anything, unless of course one is a laptop that is moved around.

Its not always to good to continually unplugging the connections, after a while they can become lose and cause connectivity problems due to wear.
I misunderstood your comments about unplugging but I see it all now. I presume the ethernet cables come with the router?. I guess it is possible to purchase an additional ethernet cable. It is all starting to fall into place LOL.

beeswax34
22-07-2008, 08:12 PM
I misunderstood your comments about unplugging but I see it all now. I presume the ethernet cables come with the router?. I guess it is possible to purchase an additional ethernet cable. It is all starting to fall into place LOL.

Yup, you can buy Ethernet cables from any local computer shop or DSE. A nice and easy to use router would be the Linksys WRT54G which is also a wireless router and you can get them around $100-$120 or so.

Pato
23-07-2008, 10:17 AM
Yup, you can buy Ethernet cables from any local computer shop or DSE. A nice and easy to use router would be the Linksys WRT54G which is also a wireless router and you can get them around $100-$120 or so.I will have a look at that one also. Using a wireless router I assume I would have to have cards installed in both computers?. As you can tell I am not familiar with Routers.

Pato
23-07-2008, 06:16 PM
Wainuitech, What cables come with the TL-R460.? Do I need to order any additional cables.? Cheers.

Speedy Gonzales
23-07-2008, 06:20 PM
I will have a look at that one also. Using a wireless router I assume I would have to have cards installed in both computers?. As you can tell I am not familiar with Routers.

No if its a wireless router, it'll have wireless onboard.

All you have to do is login to it. And configure it. Then configure the wireless on the other computer/s. Once you install the wireless adapters

Pato
23-07-2008, 06:41 PM

All you have to do is login to it. And configure it. Then configure the wireless on the other computer/s. Once you install the wireless adaptersNo not Wireless. I was going to get a TP-Link TL-R460 as suggested as I don't need anything too flash. But as my knowledge about Routers is NIL I am certainly open to any advice.

wainuitech
23-07-2008, 09:10 PM
Wainuitech, What cables come with the TL-R460.? Do I need to order any additional cables.? Cheers. They come with a standard short cable - approx 1 Mtr from memory.

They are usually long enough to connect a PC to the router if the PC is under the desk that the Router is located, or that run from the Modem to the router - on mine I made up a short one for that connection, all of 400mm.

Then another short one of 200mm then connects a 5 port switch, which sits beside the Modem to one of the routers ports, and then longer ones to run out to the workshop / Lounge/ bedrooms.Picture - a bit blurry (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/DSC00886_(Large).JPG) But you get the idea.

The cables can usually be up to 100Mtrs in length before you start having problems with lose of transfer issues.

If you need any certain/special non standard length of cables PM me and we can talk Turkey as the saying goes.

Pato
23-07-2008, 09:54 PM
They come with a standard short cable - approx 1 Mtr from memory.

They are usually long enough to connect a PC to the router if the PC is under the desk that the Router is located, or that run from the Modem to the router - on mine I made up a short one for that connection, all of 400mm.

Then another short one of 200mm then connects a 5 port switch, which sits beside the Modem to one of the routers ports, and then longer ones to run out to the workshop / Lounge/ bedrooms.Picture - a bit blurry (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/DSC00886_(Large).JPG) But you get the idea.

The cables can usually be up to 100Mtrs in length before you start having problems with lose of transfer issues.

If you need any certain/special non standard length of cables PM me and we can talk Turkey as the saying goes.Great, Thanks for your offer and help. Cheers.

Pato
24-07-2008, 12:42 PM
Great, Thanks for your offer and help. Cheers. Wainuitech, Would an Ethernet Hub work?. Would I be better to get one of these http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=345759 or do you think the TL-R460 will do the job.? I want to use one PC for a Flight Simulation program, will I have any problems?. Sorry for all the questions but I just want to get a Router that will do the job.

Pato
24-07-2008, 12:44 PM

All you have to do is login to it. And configure it. Then configure the wireless on the other computer/s. Once you install the wireless adaptersWhat wireless adapters do I need.?

Speedy Gonzales
24-07-2008, 12:50 PM
What wireless adapters do I need.?

It doesnt matter, but if it / they support WPA or better, (and the wireless router (if you get one) supports WPA or better), it maybe more secure (than using WEP)

Pato
24-07-2008, 12:58 PM
It doesnt matter, but if it / they support WPA or better, (and the wireless router (if you get one) supports WPA or better), it maybe more secure (than using WEP)I presume these Adapters plug into the USB port?. Are they just called "wireless adapters"?

Speedy Gonzales
24-07-2008, 01:04 PM
I presume these Adapters plug into the USB port?. Are they just called "wireless adapters"?

Yup USB wireless adapters, if you want USB.

Or PCI wireless adapters, if you want to install it into a PCI slot

Pato
24-07-2008, 01:44 PM
Yup USB wireless adapters, if you want USB.

Or PCI wireless adapters, if you want to install it into a PCI slotSo I need a USB wireless adapter for each PC. What are the advantages of a wireless router apart from the obviious one of no wires.?

Speedy Gonzales
24-07-2008, 01:56 PM
So I need a USB wireless adapter for each PC. What are the advantages of a wireless router apart from the obvious one of no wires.?

Well if you buy a wireless router for the main PC, then you wont need a wireless adapter for it. The router has wireless onboard. All you have to do, is log into it. And configure the wireless

Only advantage is as above, you dont have to buy a wireless adapter for the computer.

And if you have something else, thats got wireless onboard (ie: a laptop), you'll be able to use the router (once you configure the laptop), to get onto the net / whatever