PDA

View Full Version : Networking printer (XP- win2000)

fluffydog
22-07-2008, 03:26 PM
Having a problem networking a printer. Printer was networked to XP laptop and Win 2000 desktop. Have changed the laptop to a XP desktop. Installed the printer and now it will not talk to the Win 2000 desktop.If we update the win2000 to XP will I loose any data on the Win 2000 desktop or will it "suck it all over" automatically? I am at a loss what else to do to make it work.
:groan:

nofam
22-07-2008, 04:39 PM
- Is the Win2K machine on the same workgroup/domain as the XP one?
- You say the printer was networked to XP laptop - is the printer attached via USB cable to the new XP machine, or is a standalone network printer
- If the printer is a network one, are all 3 devices on the same subnet (i.e. 192.168.1.xxx)

fluffydog
22-07-2008, 04:46 PM
Ok I am not that technical so bear with me please. Printer was attached via USB cable to laptop and is now connected to new XPdesktop by USB cable. This printer is talking to the printer. When I try to add a printer to the win2K desktop the wizard pops up and when I go to search for printer no printer shows up. Should I install the printer seperately to the win2K machine fro the install cd and then try to locate it? ( I am sure that is not how we got it going the first time when it was all connected and working with the laptop)

Speedy Gonzales
22-07-2008, 04:59 PM
Did you select - A network printer, or a printer connected to another computer in 2K, if its got the option?

Not local printer connected to this computer, since the printer isnt physically connected to it?

What about firewalls?? Any installed on either PC?

fluffydog
22-07-2008, 05:03 PM
Selected a network printer...... not sure about firewalls if I find one in the XP computer should I disable it? and in the 2K one also.?

Speedy Gonzales
22-07-2008, 05:09 PM
Did you share the printer on XP first??

Control panel / printers and faxes / your printer / right mouse / properties / sharing tab / share this printer?

If you have go back to 2k, a network printer then select connect to this printer, then next, if that doesnt find anything type in \\the computer name that you use in XP\printer name (the name that appears AFTER you share the printer), in XP

And make sure both have the same workgroup name.

fluffydog
22-07-2008, 05:23 PM
Yes sharing on the xp.....ok will look thru your other instructions when I go back to work tomorrow afternoon..... watch this space....

Speedy Gonzales
22-07-2008, 05:37 PM
Are these computers on a domain, or something if theyre at work??

Or are these computers, the only 2 computers at your work??

Are you using these at work or at home?

fluffydog
22-07-2008, 05:47 PM
They are at work..... 2 sep computers wanting to share a printer.(they are the only 2 computers at work.... only other thing they share is the internet modem (this is how they are connected thru the ethernet cable) ( i Think)

fluffydog
23-07-2008, 11:45 AM
Quite right Speedy ..... firewall problem . You are the best!! thanks for your help.

Speedy Gonzales
23-07-2008, 11:55 AM
Cool !

I would add the network to the firewall. I wouldnt disable it altogether.