PDA

View Full Version : Migrating e-mail from Outlook Express to Outlook 2003

nofam
22-07-2008, 10:23 AM
Is there an easy way to do this? I had to do this last night (from OE 6 on one laptop to Outlook 2003 on another laptop), and the only way I could get it to work was to go from OE 6 on the old machine to OE 6 on the new one AND THEN to Outlook from there, which seems appallingly kludgy.

Am I missing something, because the OE export function is pretty basic??

:confused:

wratterus
22-07-2008, 10:36 AM
I normally do exactly what you did.

nofam
22-07-2008, 10:45 AM
Yeah I tried that - I copied the Outlook Express folder containing all the .dbx files over to the new PC (just had it in the root directory) and tried to point Outlook's import wizard to it, and it said something about not being able to access the directory because it was in use (was it bollocks!).

So then I tried the import wizard again, but this time tried pointing it directly to the old PC's Store Folder in C:\Documents and Settings\<User>\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{GUID}\Microsoft\Outlook Express. . . . .same error message :groan:

So yeah, I ended up importing into OE and then onto Outlook - must be missing something???

wratterus
22-07-2008, 11:04 AM
I normally copy the .iaf file, the 'Outlook Express' folder which has all the DBX files in it, and the .wab file, to a folder on the desktop of the 'new' pc, then import into OE, file, import, OE store folder, etc etc, you know the rest. ;) Seems to work OK, at least I normally do it 4 or 5 times a week.

Then open Outlook, and import from OE, seems to be the most painless way of doing it.

nofam
22-07-2008, 11:10 AM
Yeah it seems like there's no way of natively importing OE from one machine to another's Outlook.

May be a 3rd party app that does it though? ;)

Cheers Wratt :thumbs:

wratterus
22-07-2008, 11:16 AM
I have seen a couple, but not free. MS fail yet again, for failing to put simple tools in place for importing from their free software, to their paid software. You'd think they would make is as simple as possible, wouldn't you! :rolleyes: :lol:

It is very easy to import from OE or Outlook on the same PC, I'll give them that, but not from store folders, etc. :(

linw
22-07-2008, 03:53 PM
The file import/export facilities are atrocious. I have used Vista Windows Mail as an intermediate conduit for address books!