PDA

View Full Version : Why is alg.exe trying to contact an FTP?

utopian201
21-07-2008, 09:54 PM
Hi
alg.exe, (located in C:\WINDOWS\system32\alg.exe) is trying to contact an FTP at 68.105.197.22 which is apparently part of Cox Communications.

Does anyone know why it would be doing this? It subsequently gets ICMP unknown host errors, so it didn't download anything. But I'm still interested in what it is doing contacting that address. Anyone know why? I thought alg.exe is part of XP.

wainuitech
21-07-2008, 10:20 PM
Just found the following in several places , its part of the firewall in windows
alg.exe is a process belonging to Microsoft Windows Operating System. It is a core process for Microsoft Windows Internet Connection sharing and Internet connection firewall. This program is important for the stable and secure running of your computer and should not be terminated.

Some say turn it off and the problem will stop, even though it says dont turn it off, many have done so with no problems. If you do have problems turn it back on. Personally the first thing I do is always turn off teh windows firewall and use comodo - the windows fire wall is hopeless, even known to block windows updates.

On the odd occasion, it can also be spyware masquerading as the firewall.

Do a full scan with your Antispyware programs to check, if you dont have any, there are some in my sig.

Jen
21-07-2008, 10:26 PM
You haven't installed any ADSL diagnostic tools from the net?