PDA

View Full Version : stop 24 error

linw
21-07-2008, 09:22 PM
Anyone seen a solution to getting at a HDD that persists in BSODing with the above error? It says it has a ntfs.sys error at a given address but I just can't get anything to boot up to let me run any diagnostics on it. Tried safe mode, tried slaving it to another machine, tried booting with Bart PE, tried the 'R' option with a XP install disk. As soon as they sniff the faulty HDD, bang stop 24.

It's an old Quantum 40GB so is eminently ditchable. Anyway, it's not my machine! Lucky I took a backup of data a couple of days ago! The owner is hunting for the XP installation disk - hope she has it! Even better, I hope she decides to get a new laptop she has been thinking of.

Googling shows others have had similar problems. One fixed it with chkdsk/fixboot from the XP installation disk 'R' option but that wouldn't work with me.

I'm not going to waste any more time on it unless someone has a quick watertight solution!!

robsonde
21-07-2008, 09:40 PM
spinwrite

www.grc.com

linw
21-07-2008, 09:53 PM
You forget I said I couldn't get an op sys up with the drive attached.

Anyway, getting the drive on my desk to try attaching it to my Vista system via USB, I find it is now not finding track 0. Continually resets heads but no go.

TRASH CAN!!!

robsonde
21-07-2008, 10:25 PM
You forget I said I couldn't get an op sys up with the drive attached.

Anyway, getting the drive on my desk to try attaching it to my Vista system via USB, I find it is now not finding track 0. Continually resets heads but no go.

TRASH CAN!!!

you dont need an OS spinwrite is a dos/boot cd kind of thing.
it can often fix track 0 issues.

Agent_24
21-07-2008, 10:49 PM
But why bother? it's an old drive, and probably not trustworthy anymore and there's already a backup of the data...