PDA

View Full Version : USB Ports

12-05-2001, 08:25 PM
I have an HP Pavilion 6605 computer. 500mhz/64mb ram/5.1gb and a Cannon canoscan FB636U scanner.
The USB ports do not seem to be working at all. this setup used to work fine but not now. I don't have much techie knowledge but several others who do have looked and cannot fix it. It seems to have lost some files. It does not recognise any USB ports at all.
Any ideas would be great. Thanks

14-05-2001, 01:16 PM
You should check in device manager to see if there are any conflicts with the USB drivers. Also Windows 95 does not cope well with USB a lot of the time and it can be a real hassle to get it going (if at all). If you are using Windows 95 then the best solution is to upgrade to 98SE for better USB support.

18-05-2001, 03:03 AM
Ensure the USB ports are enabled in BIOS.

If you are running Windows 95B, or above (this does not apply to Win98), then you may have to reinstall the USB support (located on the CD in win95\other\USB I think).

Try reinstalling the devices again. Ensure you install the USB option if there are several choices.

18-05-2001, 12:04 PM
Thankyou for the response. I will try this. I am having other problems with the computer and they may all be related. eg maybe a virus?