PDA

View Full Version : Hibernate instead of shutting down?

zahmad
21-07-2008, 03:14 PM
Is is safe to use hibernate all the time instead of a full shutdown....as you can see from my pc specs....switching on and then logging in takes a very long time. Today, I accidentally used hibernate and the pc came back a lot faster!

What do you guys think?

[edit]P4 1.4ghz, 128mb ram (non upgradable, so don't bother!)

bevy121
21-07-2008, 03:25 PM
You can expect problems using hibernate - it never did work well

If it is taking such a long time to boot, perhaps you have some things there that shouldn't be!

Maybe a good idea to do a HJT scan and post the log back here and we'll see if there is... (Hijack This in my sig)

and tell me - why do you say your P4 is 128 meg and not upgradeable??
I find that difficult to understand

zahmad
21-07-2008, 04:23 PM
and tell me - why do you say your P4 is 128 meg and not upgradeable??
I find that difficult to understand

Something intel used for 6 months or so called rdram! :annoyed:
Everything is fine....startup programs are set tot the minimum, so don;t need hjt log :punk

bevy121
21-07-2008, 04:35 PM
startup programs are set tot the minimum, so don;t need hjt log

Erm - do you know what HJT is for?

But if you know best and don't want any help, thats fine

zahmad
21-07-2008, 04:49 PM
Yes, rogue programs etc....

mzee
21-07-2008, 06:42 PM
I use Hibernate all the time, several times a day to save time. I find that if you do a complete shut down once every 24 hours or so to clear the garbage & let chkdsk do its thing, I don't have any trouble. I presume you are using XP? ME usually ok & 98 not.
Not all computers handle it. They either do or they don't! No harm done as you will be given an option to load without the hibernation data if need be.

I set the of/on button to Hibernate, this way the only alternative is normal shutdown or hold Button in for 5 seconds to force it.

The other advantage with Hibernation is that any programs/documents you are currently working with will still be there when you return. Can save a lot of time when working on a project. Just make sure you save your work first.

zahmad
21-07-2008, 07:03 PM
Yes, using XP...will give it a try then..