PDA

View Full Version : bios /cpu/ram...help!!

12-05-2001, 08:08 PM
I have recently purchased an ex server IBM 8 socket motherboard and i have two Pentium pro cpu's attached.What i would like to do is dedicate 1 cpu and 128mbs of ram(2-64mb chips) to programs and dedicate the other cpu and the rest of the ram (64mb)to my vidio card to run my graphics;Question:can i do it, and How?Through bios?Also i'm not sure of the title of the motherboard, how can i find out if it isn't on the board?Any help would be appreciated:0)

13-05-2001, 12:13 AM
Hi,

I don't think what you want to do is posible. Using system ram as video memory doesn't result in very fast graphics anyway. You would be better to run an operating system such as win 2k pro to utilise both CPUs. Remember that win 9x/me won't use the second processor at all. Buy a good 3d video card if you need good graphics. Your motherboard may not have an AGP bus but there are PCI cards out there. It is better to let the OS manage the memory itself.

14-05-2001, 10:48 AM
If u want to know who made your m/board, then go to:

http://www.windrivers.com/identity/mboard/index.htm

There is a link to 'Identify your bios by number' for both Award and AMI bioses.
It tells you where to get these numbers, and once you have them, who made your board :)