PDA

View Full Version : Vista + XP Dual Booting Help

springa886
20-07-2008, 10:50 PM
Hi, I have Vista Home Premium installed on my PC and would also like to install XP Home on the same PC. I have shrunk my C: drive and that gave me 6Gig to install XP on, since I will be primarilly using Vista, 6Gig should be enough space for my XP install.
I partitioned the 6 Gig and called it Z: drive.
I rebooted and ran the XP setup from the CD, and all went well, untill it rebooted (half way thru the setup), and i got an error saying “A disk read error occurred – press Ctrl-Alt-Del to continue”.
After a bit of google-ing, I found that the error was caused by a corrupt boot loader, so I fixed that using the method on THIS SITE (http://apcmag.com/how_to_dual_boot_vista_and_xp_with_vista_installed _first__the_stepbystep_guide.htm?page=6).
Now after restarting my PC, I get the boot menu asking wheter I want to boot Vista or XP. If i choose Vista, everything works like it should and there's no problemo. If I choose XP, knowing that XP had'nt finished installing, nothing happens!! I thought that when I choose XP, the windows install would have continued on, but alas.... NOTHING HAPPENS!!
Anybody know what I can do?

Speedy Gonzales
20-07-2008, 11:03 PM
Usually, you install the earlier version of Windows, then the latest.

Not the other way round

springa886
20-07-2008, 11:09 PM
would it be better for me to start again, and install XP first? I would have already done that but my Xtra Adventure Plan only gives me 10GB per month and im waaaaay past that for this month, so I won't be able to update either windows after re-installing them!!! I wish I understood how to download and keep the updates for Windows lol... You've tried to explain it to me before Speedy...... I'm dumb!

jwil1
20-07-2008, 11:16 PM
Yup.

I have a similar setup to you by the sounds of it.

What I did was:
1. Installed Windows XP on the second HD (or in your case 6GB partition). XP also needed to format the first HD/partition in my experience to set the bootloader.
2. Booted successfully to XP.
3. Installed Vista on first HD.
4. Rebooted = Dualboot menu!!

That's it! Works perfectly. :)

springa886
20-07-2008, 11:19 PM
Thanks guys, I guess i'm waiting till my speed picks up untill I get into it. Cheers for the advice.

Speedy Gonzales
20-07-2008, 11:19 PM
Well the easiest way is to get the updates manually. And put them on a spare partition. That way, if you format, all you have to do is go to the partition and reinstall the updates

There's not much to download now, if you slipstream SP3. Or install it after XP.

There's about 9 updates

springa886
20-07-2008, 11:22 PM
Sorry, what I should say is that I was thinking about making the partition for the XP drive a bit bigger and would like to know how small I can make the Vista drive?
Cheers.

Speedy Gonzales
20-07-2008, 11:28 PM
Well I would make XP bigger than 6 GB, since its 1.5 GB.

You may run out of space, after you install the updates. (That if the updates install after).

I would make Vista's partition at least 30-50 if the hdd is big enough.

Vista isnt exactly small

springa886
20-07-2008, 11:35 PM
Thanks Speedy. Do you know any "Slipstreaming for dummies" sites?

Speedy Gonzales
20-07-2008, 11:48 PM
Type slipstream XP into Google.

There's a lot of sites online explaining how to do it

One of the programs you can use is Nlite (http://www.nliteos.com/)

Only thing is, you'll have to install this if you use the 32 bit version of XP (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=79bc3b77-e02c-4ad3-aacf-a7633f706ba5&DisplayLang=en)

Or this if you use 64 bit (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=029196ED-04EB-471E-8A99-3C61D19A4C5A&displaylang=en)

springa886
20-07-2008, 11:58 PM
Thanks very much Speedy. Again, You're a legend.

Renmoo
21-07-2008, 12:23 PM
You have to install Windows XP first because Windows Vista will override boot.ini with its own configuration in order to dual-boot.

Cheers :)