PDA

View Full Version : SD Flash Cards

Pato
20-07-2008, 05:03 PM
Which brands of Flash Cards are reliable. Have used DSE and Kingston and both have bombed on me. I presume if the card won't load there is no way I can retrieve the pictures on it?.

Jen
20-07-2008, 05:57 PM
What do you mean by "bombed"? Does Windows refuse to recognise the card in a card reader device or are you connecting to the PC directly from the camera? Can the camera still recognise the card and display the images?

Pato
20-07-2008, 06:26 PM
What do you mean by "bombed"? Does Windows refuse to recognise the card in a card reader device or are you connecting to the PC directly from the camera? Can the camera still recognise the card and display the images?
Sorry I guess that doesn't convey much eh?. The PC comes up with request to insert disk in card reader. I tried another card in the reader and it is ok.

trinsic
20-07-2008, 07:08 PM
Sandisk and Transcend.

Bantu
21-07-2008, 11:37 AM
All mine are Sandisk (SD & CF cards), also my reader is Sandisk, plus my Flash drives are Sandisk.

Never had a problem.

DeSade
21-07-2008, 11:55 AM
All mine are Sandisk (SD & CF cards), also my reader is Sandisk, plus my Flash drives are Sandisk.

Never had a problem.

So you recommend Sandisk then...

(I know I know, sorry its a slow day here :) )

beeswax34
21-07-2008, 12:35 PM
Sandisk definitely. We have 6-7 SD cards all made by them and none of them have ever failed.

Pato
21-07-2008, 03:08 PM
Thanks All. I will go for sandisk. And I guess the answer to my other question is that I can't retrieve the photos on the faulty disk which is a bit annoying.

PaulD
21-07-2008, 03:48 PM
You still haven't responded to Jen asking whether the camera still recognises the cards.

Have you tried another card reader? I have a Sandisk reader that doesn't read some brands of CF card reliably. Sandisk is popular but watch for faked Sandisks if you're not buying from normal retail sources.

Pato
21-07-2008, 04:12 PM
You still haven't responded to Jen asking whether the camera still recognises the cards.

Have you tried another card reader? I have a Sandisk reader that doesn't read some brands of CF card reliably. Sandisk is popular but watch for faked Sandisks if you're not buying from normal retail sources.I thought I had. The camera recognises the Kingston card ok. The card reader loads from another flash card so the card reader is ok but won't load the pictures into Picasa2.

Pato
21-07-2008, 04:18 PM
What do you mean by "bombed"? Does Windows refuse to recognise the card in a card reader device or are you connecting to the PC directly from the camera? Can the camera still recognise the card and display the images?Yes, the camera recognises the card and displays the pictures.

PaulD
21-07-2008, 04:22 PM
I thought I had. The camera recognises the Kingston card ok. The card reader loads from another flash card so the card reader is ok but won't load the pictures into Picasa2.

If the camera recognises the card but the reader doesn't, try another reader or download the pictures from the camera. Just because the reader works on some other cards doesn't mean that it is OK. Some reader manufacturers interpret the various card specifications differently.

wratterus
21-07-2008, 04:23 PM
Yes, the camera recognizes the card and displays the pictures.

Sounds to me more like a card reader issue, rather than the card itself. Internal card readers are known for having niggly little issues, which a reboot of the PC normally fixes.

Can't explain another card working, but I have seen that myself, with my card reader. USB card readers are so much more reliable, but unfortunately they aren't as tidy. :dogeye:
I'd try formatting the cards (obviously copy any data off them first) and give it another chance. unless you want new memory cards.

www.flashcards.co.nz

smokey
21-07-2008, 05:48 PM
one thing u can try instead of using a card reader is to download the pics to pc using a usb cable if you have one. if that doesnt work then the card is probly stuffed.

Pato
21-07-2008, 06:43 PM
If the camera recognises the card but the reader doesn't, try another reader or download the pictures from the camera. Just because the reader works on some other cards doesn't mean that it is OK. Some reader manufacturers interpret the various card specifications differently.It loaded previous pictures from the same card. I will end up loading pictures from the camera as you suggest. Cheers.

Pato
21-07-2008, 06:45 PM
Sounds to me more like a card reader issue, rather than the card itself. Internal card readers are known for having niggly little issues, which a reboot of the PC normally fixes.

Can't explain another card working, but I have seen that myself, with my card reader. USB card readers are so much more reliable, but unfortunately they aren't as tidy. :dogeye:
I'd try formatting the cards (obviously copy any data off them first) and give it another chance. unless you want new memory cards.

www.flashcards.co.nzI am using an external USB reader and I think you may be correct about trying a new reader. Thanks.