PDA

View Full Version : Headphone (ear bud) recommendation

nofam
20-07-2008, 12:31 PM
If anyone's after some good earbud-style phones for their mp3 player (or iPhone if you're crazy & rich in equal measure!!) I can highly recommend Sennheiser CX500's - just got a set on Friday, and they're awesome!!

Celine Dion has never sounded so good!! :p

Rich, warm bass, tight mid-range, and crisp highs, not to mention comfortable, and well constructed

FTW!! :thumbs:

the_bogan
20-07-2008, 01:17 PM
Woah, at $160ish, I'd hope so. :waughh:

I'm quite happy with a $30ish pair I got at DSE a while ago. Sounds rich and bassy enough for my style of music and gaming, although I haven't heard the sound through yours to compare.

kenj
20-07-2008, 01:36 PM
I just bought a new Sony player the other day - beautiful piece of equipment!

Except for the headphones. (MDREX082 (105cm) - In-ear style) They are the ones with 3 sizes of replacement silicone sleeves.

May be because I am getting old but they sound terrible and I have reverted to the old type ear buds from my previous player. Brilliant sound now and I am a happy chappie now.

Earphones are a problem. If you go into a Sony shop, they have all their outside the ear headphones on a rack for tryout, but for health reasons, not the in ear ones. Understandable really, but I can't bring myself to pay big bikkies for something I don' know what the sound will be like. As you age, your hearing turns to crap, caused by loud music, work noise or a combination of both. This means that some headphones that some may like, others dislike.

I have outside ear sets that are great but like the buds for compactness when walking or travelling.

Ken

Trev
20-07-2008, 01:36 PM
You can't compare. I have a pair of $40 Digitor headphones from DSE and a pair of Sony $150 noise cancelling headphones which are so much better than the Digitor ones. They are full headphones.
:)

nofam
20-07-2008, 01:42 PM
Woah, at $160ish, I'd hope so. :waughh:

I'm quite happy with a $30ish pair I got at DSE a while ago. Sounds rich and bassy enough for my style of music and gaming, although I haven't heard the sound through yours to compare.

Got mine online for $74 :D - as always it pays to shop around

Ninjabear
25-07-2008, 04:31 AM
i am using super fi 5 eb at the moment. I also have a pair of ultimate ears triple fi 10 pro.
You are correct. Sony earphones sound quality is bad

maccrazy
25-07-2008, 06:48 PM
I can highly recommend Sennheiser CX500's - just got a set on Friday, and they're awesome!!I had CX300s and now have CX400s and I'd also recommend them. CX400s have slightly better sound, but I personally preferred the J cord on the CX300s.

pcuser42
25-07-2008, 07:18 PM
I got my set of earphones for $10 :thumbs: :D

kenj
25-07-2008, 07:34 PM
i am using super fi 5 eb at the moment. I also have a pair of ultimate ears triple fi 10 pro.
You are correct. Sony earphones sound quality is bad

I didn't say that Sony headphones are bad. I have another pair of Sony in ear buds which sound wonderful, a pair of Sony sports style phones - great as well.

What I mean't is - It all depends on your ears. I am old and a pair of million dollar phones might sound crap, whereas a pair of $20 may sound good. My mate bought a pair of Bose phones, cost a fortune, around $600. He loves them. I tried them but I hate them. Far to much bass. See what I mean?

Ken

steven25
25-07-2008, 07:55 PM
You can go to Skullcandy Smokin' Buds Earphones, This is also good one.

Deane F
25-07-2008, 10:27 PM
For me, Celine Dion could only sound good through earplugs that were not plugged into anything, at all.

Ninjabear
25-07-2008, 10:39 PM
I didn't say that Sony headphones are bad. I have another pair of Sony in ear buds which sound wonderful, a pair of Sony sports style phones - great as well.

What I mean't is - It all depends on your ears. I am old and a pair of million dollar phones might sound crap, whereas a pair of $20 may sound good. My mate bought a pair of Bose phones, cost a fortune, around $600. He loves them. I tried them but I hate them. Far to much bass. See what I mean?

Ken

Normally young people dont know how to listen to music.They think if the headphone or earphone has alot of bass its a extremeley good earphone/headphone . For me being 23 too much bass is not good.It covers the rest of the instrument at the back and all you hear is a thumping bass sound.Waste of money if you ask me.

feersumendjinn
26-07-2008, 01:22 AM
Bought some Griffin EarThumps (think they are called Tunebuds now) a while back, found them to be quite good.

Deane F
26-07-2008, 01:59 AM
Bought some Griffin EarThumps (think they are called Tunebuds now) a while back, found them to be quite good.

Yeah that's what I got - a vast improvement over the iPod ones - for $70.

I think replacement white iPod ones are $60 so the Tunebuds are very good value (or perhaps anything Apple just isn't...)

SurferJoe46
26-07-2008, 06:01 AM
..................Celine Dion has never sounded so good!! :p

Rich, warm bass, tight mid-range, and crisp highs, not to mention comfortable, and well constructed

FTW!! :thumbs:

I'll buy the "well constructed" part about Celine, but as far as using her for a bellwether for sound and quality...eh, so-so........she WAS good...no make that.... GREAT a few yarns ago...but not today.

Now..try that with Luciano and get a REAL thrill. Even though he's assumed room temperature, his old recordings cannot be held the sacred candle to.

Right Yoda?

nofam
26-07-2008, 06:06 PM
As far as I'm concerned Celine Dion IS the devil incarnate - she'll have horn stumps for sure, and no doubt will have 666 tattooed on her body somewhere.

:yuck:

SurferJoe46
26-07-2008, 06:33 PM
As far as I'm concerned Celine Dion IS the devil incarnate - she'll have horn stumps for sure, and no doubt will have 666 tattooed on her body somewhere.

:yuck:

Nasty..bad and horrible mental image there guy!

And now I am going to sleep (-7 GMT here) and try to NOT think of exploring her for that 666 tattoo.

robbyp
26-07-2008, 07:34 PM
Yeah that's what I got - a vast improvement over the iPod ones - for $70.

I think replacement white iPod ones are $60 so the Tunebuds are very good value (or perhaps anything Apple just isn't...)

Can't you buy an ipod shuffle for about $75 which comes with the headphones, so how could the headphones by themselves be $60, which would make the shuffle cost only $15. Are apple ripping us off or something on the headphones?.

Deane F
26-07-2008, 10:47 PM
Can't you buy an ipod shuffle for about $75 which comes with the headphones, so how could the headphones by themselves be $60, which would make the shuffle cost only $15. Are apple ripping us off or something on the headphones?.

Good point - I did get my white Apple headphones with my iPod Touch - but I do know that replacements are $59.95 if you buy them separately. Usual retail lark I guess.