PDA

View Full Version : Epson DX8400 printer in German

andrew93
19-07-2008, 01:49 AM
Hi

I'm trying to help a friend set up a new PC and we have struck a problem. I have installed the drivers for their printer, which is an Epson Stylus DX8400. It prints ok except when I look at the ink cartridge manager and the printer properties in Windows XP, everything is in German. When I installed the drivers I set English as the language and re-installing the drivers from the CD didn't change anything.

I uninstalled the drivers and downloaded and installed new drivers without luck. The settings on the printer display (the LCD screen) are in English and I'm not sure what to try next. It is as if language from the previous driver version is being remembered and I cannot see where to change to it or how to change it.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance
Andrew

bevy121
19-07-2008, 03:31 AM
Is this the driver you downloaded/installed ?

Epson Stylus DX8400 Driver 6.50 (http://esupport.epson-europe.com/FileDetails.aspx?lng=en-GB&data=lkuCfcvA9czc+0TjTXcYqRkA9FD4bvUB&id=318012)

Did you uninstall using add/remove?

Apparantly, sometimes you need to uninstall it 3 or 4 times before it is actualy uninstalled!

Is there also an entry in add/remove "EPSON STATUS MONITOR"

Uninstall that as well if so

bevy121
19-07-2008, 03:48 AM
Oh - and then Disconnect the USB cable and reboot.

andrew93
20-07-2008, 07:51 AM
Thanks for that. That was the driver I tried to reinstall without luck.

I managed to get an answer out of Epson and (for the purposes of anyone else searching on Google) this was the solution:

Step One:
Switch off and disconnect the printer. Go to Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel, and remove EPSON PRINTER SOFTWARE (or 'EPSON DRUCKER SOFTWARE'). Click on one of the printers so it is highlighted, then select 'Utility' - tick every box listed in the 'Utility' section and select 'OK'. Answer positively to all questions and repeat for all other EPSON printer drivers.

Step Two:
Open the folder called windows/inf on XP, or winnt/inf on 2000. (If you can't see the INF folder please go into the START MENU and select RUN and type C:\windows\inf and press enter)

Find the files labelled OEMxx.inf, where xx is a number from 00, 01, 02 etc upwards. Double click on each INF file in turn, and if it says "SEIKO EPSON" or "EPSON" within the first few lines, then close the file, and delete it. Repeat until all EPSON INF files are removed.

Step Three:
Open the windows folder (winnt folder on 2000) system32/spool/drivers, and go into the folder named "w32x86". Delete any folders that begin with "epson", and then restart. Empty the recycle bin and reboot the PC.

Step Four:
THE PRINTER SHOULD STILL BE SWITCHED OFF AND DISCONNECTED AT THIS POINT. Insert the driver CD. Open/browse the CD-Rom, browse to the Common Folder, select the Printer Driver Folder then choose the WinXP_2k folder. Run the Setup.exe file and complete the installation as normal making sure you only connect the printer when requested to do so.

Step Five:
After installation, remove the CD from the CD drive and reboot the PC. The foreign language tabs will now appear in English.

bevy121
21-07-2008, 02:08 PM
multiple spam attack - reported

andrew93
23-07-2008, 07:58 AM
Did I miss something???

bevy121
23-07-2008, 12:19 PM
;) yea

There was a heap of threads being spammed - all gone again now, which makes my "reported" post look lonely! LOL