PDA

View Full Version : Engine Start project idea...

Johnnz
18-07-2008, 11:35 PM
Hi all,
Been in project mode lately, just fitted a pir sensor for the hallway lights last night .Want to build a in ceiling drop down lcd tv mechanism sometime too (I have a weakness for home automation:blush: )...
Anyway, those arent projects I want to run by in detail here right now. Instead I am thinking of an engine start project to do away with the humble key. Maybe just a waste of time but I am still quite tempted just for the 'cool' factor. My fiance has an MGF and since reading a DIY for fitting a Honda S2000 engine start button (See link here (http://www.mgf.ultimatemg.com/default.htm) and go to "DIY" "How to fit a starter button".) I have been contemplating doing likewise myself.

I had thought about combining this with a relay activated by a speech recognition kitset. However, voice control could get rather tedious after a while telling your car to start everytime you sit in it. So, today I had another thought, how about using a finger print reader as the key? The main problem is that nearly all fingerprint scanners operate through USB. So, since this forum has a good number of tech minded participants I thought I would ask how tricky it would be to get one to operate a relay?

Anyone know of any cars that use this system already?

Any comments appreciated. :)

Speedy Gonzales
19-07-2008, 12:07 AM
There's a fingerprint based car system here (http://www.automobile-security.com/products.htm)

Its not cheap tho

pine-o-cleen
19-07-2008, 10:06 PM
Sounds like fancy for the sake of fancy! But good on ya.

I think you're going to have some trouble finding something suitable as a fingerprint scanner would require some sort of controlling (to determine if access should be granted or not) and the only ones I have seen are operated by a PC.

How bout a prox card system? Would be a lot cheaper I'd guess.

Agent_24
20-07-2008, 05:01 AM
Voice recognition system? Eye scanner? DNA tester?

Or maybe a morse code keyer and you have to tap out "Waltzing Matilda" every time?

Digby
20-07-2008, 08:00 AM
Or Buy the latest Ferrari, Lexus, Mercedes, BMW etc, I am sure some of them would have it built in.

But good on you, I am not very technical, but have invented a few things in my mind in my life, and have applied for a NZ patent for my latest one.

motorbyclist
21-07-2008, 12:27 AM
what if you let someone (like a mechanic) borrow your car?

what make/model car is it?
ironically, the older and crappier the car the easier this project will be.

ubergeek85
21-07-2008, 12:30 PM
Hmm, it depends on the model of the scanner. Some may store all info on board (ie the fingers to let in), others may depend on external drivers, and store content to the PC. For your purpose, it looks like all you need is a "start/don't start" signal. If you wanted to get fancy, you could get a microcontroller with USB support (they're only a few bucks). Maybe the ATMega88. It has 8kb of flash and a built-in A/D converter. Or you could put in a laptop, and write a script that outputs an MD5 sum over the serial port on successful scan. :D

password
21-07-2008, 07:41 PM
what make/model car is it?
ironically, the older and crappier the car the easier this project will be.

I want to try this on my 74 Morris Marina, but it will get rid of its classic awesomeniss lol

gary67
21-07-2008, 07:54 PM
I want to try this on my 74 Morris Marina, but it will get rid of its classic awesomeniss lol

You bought a Marina, I remember when they were new and still guzzled oil

password
21-07-2008, 08:00 PM
Yea, its a beautiful old girl =)

Johnnz
21-07-2008, 10:22 PM
Thanks for the replies and link Speedy Gonzales - their implentation of this idea is pretty much like I was imagining, though their workmanship looks a little rough around the edges and the unlevel scanned newspaper clippings on their website dont make a very good impression...

Thanks for the technical ideas Geekster, I might look further down those roads if I get more serious about this.