PDA

View Full Version : Acer Notebook

SP8's
18-07-2008, 11:01 PM
Hi all ... Have a problem with an Acer Notebook but can't give much in the way of details as such because of ...
1) Power on unable to use F2 to get into Setup
2) Unable to use F8 to get into safe mode.
3) When password used it goes to background screen but nothing loads (no icons) - mouse works but that's all. Tried C A D - nothing.
4) Haven't got original XP discs because the computer is owned by exchange student from Thailand.
5) Know there are bad virus, spyware, malware etc on HD - had been trying to remove them with appropriate software but hadn't finished.
6) Might be of no use, but when last looked at Task Manager before it locked up comletely, the User Name where System, Local Service, Network Service etc, just had a funny sort of "n" or "fi" beside Image Name (process)

Question .... Is there anything I can do without the original XP Disc ?
If I can get into the damn thing I might be able to get rid of the virus or whatever is causing the thing to freeze up.

Anyone answering please be patient i'm no techie !!

Thanks in advance to any help offered.

Speedy Gonzales
18-07-2008, 11:05 PM
You maybe able to restore it if its got a restore partition on it

Or remove the hdd and put it in a working system, then scan it

SP8's
18-07-2008, 11:12 PM
Thanks Speedy ..... Think putting the HDD into a working system might be the best idea ..... probably does have a hidden partition but can't get to it ... yet !!

Speedy Gonzales
18-07-2008, 11:15 PM
You could try F10 or whatever the key is to restore it. Or if its got a restore partition, connect it to a working system. Go to the hidden partition and see if there are ISO's there.

If there is, copy them to the working system then burn them to cd, or dvd. If they'll burn to dvd.

Thats what I did with 1 laptop, that was infected with crap. I connected ithe hdd to this got the ISO's burned them (I didnt have dvd's then, so I had to use 13 cds to burn the ISO's to).

Then reinstalled Windows on it.

spaceman8815
18-07-2008, 11:39 PM
You can use acer's recovery process by pushing alt+F10,
But first make sure in the BIOS that acer disk-to-disk recovery is enabled, and check if D2D Recovery is enabled under the main menu. Press F2 to get to th BIOS at start up. This will re-install the OS and depending on whether their was a back up will either wipe the files on it or restore it to the last back up.

I have an acer laptop and these are the instructions from the laptop manual.

pcuser7895
18-07-2008, 11:47 PM
is your anti virus updated?
if the virus has killed the anti virus system alredy,
u may have to buy a new one, update it(before the virus kills it) and kill the virus
(before it kills the anti virus system).
after that if its your still having problems, then there is a a problem with your computer itself.

SP8's
19-07-2008, 11:21 AM
I think i'll have to try putting the HD into a working system - isn't allowing me to get into setup or safe mode, etc. Can anyone tell me if it's possible to run the notebook HD in my PC or does it have to go into another laptop ?

gary67
19-07-2008, 11:32 AM
You can if you have a 2.5 notebook hdd case, I use mine with an old hdd as my backup but have often taken mine out to put others in to recover data. You can't just open your desktop and plug it in as the ide or sata is a different size.