PDA

View Full Version : Vista SP1 failure

Henare
18-07-2008, 08:00 PM
I recently tried to install SP1 onto vista. The install failed as I had not turned off McAfee protection, now in install history it shoes as having failed but when I retry to install the computer will not allow it. Does anyone know a work around to get SP1 into the machine.

gary67
18-07-2008, 08:08 PM
Welcome to PF1

You could turn back using system restore to before you tried downloading then download again with McAfee turned off. Maybe Ccleaner in my sig can remove the registry entries not sure if it can but worth the try.

wainuitech
18-07-2008, 08:36 PM
Got a customers laptop with the exact same thing- they tried to install sp1, it failed due to McAfee stopping it, and the laptop wouldn't boot correctly after that, ran system restore back to before SP1 Update,( last weeks checkpoint to be exact) laptop now booting and working fine except the updates, McAfee removed.

ANY windows updates / SP1 - It goes through the process of installing, then after the reboot, it runs through the auto repair and all is lost again - so far spent several hours altering settings, fixing system files, but to no avail - only solution I can see is save the data and reinstall the whole OS, this time ripping out McAfee before trying again, since its from a recovery partition :crying

Ran Ccleaner reg section as Gary mentions, as well as some other cleaners / repair tools, both system and registry - Nothing works.

gary67
19-07-2008, 11:18 AM
That's a good heads up Wainui, I thought that it might work good to have some feedback that it doesn't.

wainuitech
19-07-2008, 11:20 AM
Just came across a possible longgggg shot fix - I'm gonna try it in a few minutes, then retry installing SP1 --- as they say in the TV ad's -- Stay tuned for more >>>>>>:D

Scouse
19-07-2008, 11:25 AM
Following on from Wainui*. When SP1 on Home Premium failed I finally gave up and let a tech team which I have faith in have my machine. After several days I finally agreed to let them start the whole process again with a re-install of Vista. More than a week of playing around seeking answers and we - the techs and myself - still could not work out what the snag was. SP1 installed on a clean machine running virtually no other programmes.

wainuitech
19-07-2008, 01:46 PM
OK update -:crying it failed yet again - looks like its a reinstall, pity because its working perfectly other wise, but the customer wants the updates to work.

gary67
19-07-2008, 03:01 PM
Oh well at least we all know.

Thanks