PDA

View Full Version : External Hard Drive not showing on My Computer

grebecks
17-07-2008, 04:55 AM
I have a new SmartDrive DH 35 USB 2.0 external hard drive. I plugged it into my computer and didn't show in My Computer so I googled my problem and found this advice:

"For Windows XP go to Start > Run, type in DISKMGMT.MSC then select your drive in the bottom half of the window at the left, right-click on it, choose Initialize then right-click again and either partition and format it or format it."

Which I did. It said it was Formatting and showed up in My Computer so I was happy. I didn't touch anything or change anything, but when it was only 2% Formatted it suddenly disappeared. I can't find it anywhere. I've restarted both the drive and my computer but I can't find the HDD anywhere. It's not in My Computer, Computer Management or Disk Management.

I'm REALLY worried. I have no idea what happened! I live in Korea so there's a huge language barrier when trying to explain problems to computer staff here. Can someone please help me? I don't know what to do!

pctek
17-07-2008, 09:45 AM
Hmm. I'd take the actual drive out of the enclosure and hook it up to the PC directly and first see if the BIOS sees it.
If so, good, if not, its dead.
Then boot to windows and see if the drive is viewable/formatable there. If not, drives stuffed.