PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading wireless router for better performance?

silu
15-07-2008, 10:36 AM
Hi,

I am sorry for asking such a noob question. My wireless set up is that I use an old DSE router I got about 8 years ago with my first DSL connection and connect to a Netgear WPN824 (about 3-4 years old). My laptop is a Dell 1520.

A friend of mine who tried to help me with connecting my Wii to the internet and failed said that it doesn’t work because I have a “pre-N” (?) model.

Although my current system works fine I’m asking if I should upgrade my wireless router and if I actually loose connection speed because of my “old” wireless equipment? If yes what should I buy without breaking the bank?

Thanks for helping a confused girl out.

Safari
15-07-2008, 10:55 AM
If you are going to buy new equipment you might as well get an all in one wireless modem router such as Dynalink RTA1025W.

You will not have the problem trying to get two units to work together as you have now.

http://www.dynalink.co.nz/cms/index.php?page=rta1025w

linw
15-07-2008, 12:08 PM
I'd get a second opinion before spending money that may not solve your problem.

SolMiester
15-07-2008, 12:38 PM
The Wii probably failed because the gateway isnt the wireless router......but instead another device which it may not have been able to contact. I cant be sure because I have never connected a console to a gateway....

However a new wireless ADSL router will indeed bring your ADSL technology up to speed.....and make the internet connection less complicated than having yet another device that provides the internet...

kersonan
15-07-2008, 12:50 PM
Sounds pretty suspect to me also.

Most Wifi Access points/routers will give the option to drop down a mode. e.g. wifi G force down to wifi B

My Wii at home is happily connected using G.

I'd have a look at logging into the Netgear WPN824 config panel and having a look to see if you can force it down to B/G in the options, shouldnt be a big deal to do.

iainw
28-07-2008, 03:03 PM
Any device that is 802.11n MUST be backwards compatible with 802.11b/g, and ALL access points will have the ability to specifiy b only, g only, b/g, and equivalents now that 802.11n is out.

"Pre-N" equipment is usually a little risky, as it typically means that the manufacturer is using a proprietary implementation of 802.11n before draft 2.0 was ratified.

As far as standards go, the only reason it shouldnt work, is as kersonan pointed out. The access point and the wii must be configured in a way that each can understand the other.

silu
28-07-2008, 03:11 PM
Thanks for the replies. I actually bought the Dynalink RTA1025W as per above recommendation and suddenly my wireless internet is a joy (it actually works immediately when I turn on the laptop - Yay!) its seems faster and also my Wii connected immediately. Best $112 spent.

Misty
28-07-2008, 08:42 PM
Thanks for the replies. I actually bought the Dynalink RTA1025W as per above recommendation and suddenly my wireless internet is a joy (it actually works immediately when I turn on the laptop - Yay!) its seems faster and also my Wii connected immediately. Best $112 spent.
Glad you are all sorted silu. Just a word of caution. My wireless router gave up the ghost after 15 months (and is now on route back to the manufacturer for hopefully a replacement). However I am really glad that I kept my old DSE wired router, because it is filling the gap just now. Can't use our laptop online (without hastle), but at least the PC is connected.

Moral of the story - don't throw out your old router, sell or give away. It may be like the candle when the electricity goes off ! :D :D
Misty :2cents:

Chilling_Silence
29-07-2008, 12:21 AM
Interesting...

Ive never had any issues connecting my Wii through a Pre-N wireless router to a DSL modem when I take it to my friends place.
With / without security, doesnt matter, still works.

I'd highly recommend keeping your old router, chances are its still good, and as Misty said you never know when you might need it :)