PDA

View Full Version : Scan Disc

Roscoe
14-07-2008, 06:44 PM
There used to be a utility that came with early versions of Windows called Scan Disc. It found faults on your HD and if there were any bad sectors it would mark them so they could not be accessed.

Later versions do not appear to have this programme, or do they?

I am running XP on my PC and Vista on my laptop. Does either OS have Scan Disc or some other utility that does the same job?

Thanks for your help.

wainuitech
14-07-2008, 06:56 PM
yep - Its called chkdsk, One way if you want to run it, go to the C: drive, right click it, Properties/Tools Tab, click the button "Check Now" put ticks in the two boxes, most of the time a message will pop up saying it cant run and would you like to run it next time the computer starts, select Yes.

Next time you start the computer chkdsk will run, it has a blue screen/ white writing and a countdown on start up, touch nothing a result will be displayed saying if any faults found/fixed and once completed the PC should automatically start back into windows.

The above is for XP - never had to run it on Vista, but should be similar.

Edited: just looked on a Vista PC, exactly the same - right click drive/properties/tools tab/ Error checking

Roscoe
15-07-2008, 09:45 AM
Thanks for that Wainui. It was your answer I expected and sure enough! Most appreciated. I will give it a try.:thanks

wainuitech
15-07-2008, 09:47 AM
:D No Worries