PDA

View Full Version : CPU upgrade suppliers

11-05-2001, 11:24 AM
Lovely Article in this months PCWorld about upgrading your CPU- Unfortunately I can't fins anyone who STOCK anything old enough to be worthwhile, I mean My motherboard supports P3's up to about 600mHz (its an Intel SE 440-BX2 Motherboard), but no-one seems to stock anything slower than a Celeron 800 or so. Any ideas?

11-05-2001, 12:17 PM
in theory the 440bx based motherboards can support up to 1ghz cpu. u may need a bios upgrade however.

11-05-2001, 03:31 PM
OK, My Bios is the latest available (off the manufacturers website), but it is the manufacturers that claim that the revision of my motherboard will only support about 650mHz chips. If its incorrect (as you suggest) how can I find out? :-)a Gigahertz chip would be a VAST improvement to the 350mmx i have now

14-05-2001, 11:50 PM
Hi Mark

If I remeber right this is a slot 1 m/b and being Intel they of course do not support the use of cpu adapter cards ,which you would normally be able to use on most slot 1 m/b.
I think your m/b will only support pre coppermine p3,so voltage may be a problem,and yes some adapters have voltage selection to over come that problem,however you may still be out of luck because new cpu,s need to be supported in the bios in the form of a micro code,which Intel won,t provide (bios update)
It will be hard to find a new
p3 600 non coppermine slot 1
cpu,maybe you could find a second hand one.