PDA

View Full Version : Ascent will no longer be building custom-built PCs after 31 July

jwil1
12-07-2008, 02:35 PM
Just a heads-up...

As of July 31st 2008, Ascent will no longer be building custom built PC's. The PC Builder tool will still be available, but 'Ascent to assemble' will no longer be an option. Any PC's built by us before this date will still be covered under all applicable warranties, and any repairs or warranty replacements will be carried out as per normal by contacting returns@ascent.co.nz. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause, but please don't hesitate to contact us on sales@ascent.co.nz or (04) 802 3890 should you have any questions.

Source: http://www.ascent.co.nz/PCBuild.aspx

I don't know if this affects their pre-set configs (see link above).

wainuitech
12-07-2008, 02:59 PM
Hmmmm So they supply the parts but appear not to be building - not to surprising - with the cost of components and competition if you don't charge enough for labor then you dont make enough profit to pay the staff.

Thats going to be "interesting" esp if there is a warranty claim - wonder if they will say it was the user that caused the problem and damaged the component, read that comment as static damage or mishandling. Then if there's a DOA will it be up to the customer to prove it was, that's why when custom building the whole PC can be tested = $$ in a business.
I don't know if this affects their pre-set configs (see link above). The way I read the article is its only on "custom Builds" - non standard.

trinsic
12-07-2008, 04:18 PM
I believe PlayTech do their pre-configed PC systems anyway. They've simply removed the option to let them build it for you.

pctek
12-07-2008, 07:32 PM
Hmmmm So they supply the parts but appear not to be building - not to surprising - with the cost of components and competition if you don't charge enough for labor then you dont make enough profit to pay the staff.

Don't believe it. I can build their configs cheaper than them and I know they get a much better buy price than I do from suppliers.

It doesn't take long at all to build the thing.

wainuitech
12-07-2008, 08:52 PM
Don't believe it. I can build their configs cheaper than them and I know they get a much better buy price than I do from suppliers.

It doesn't take long at all to build the thing. Totally agree - I get my supplies from mostly the same sources as yourself, and yeah they would prob get them cheaper because of bulk - If they only supply set kits, then its easy to load in a Image, drivers for the components, 15 - 20 minutes to load an OS, drivers, programs and all.

Poppa John
12-07-2008, 09:41 PM
The answer is quite simple really.

If you live in the NI then order your Custom Build from Waiinuiotech

In the SI order from pctek, (beware the Couriers tho!!!)

PJ

CYaBro
13-07-2008, 01:45 AM
The answer is quite simple really.

If you live in the NI then order your Custom Build from Waiinuiotech

In the SI order from pctek, (beware the Couriers tho!!!)

PJ

If you live in the lower NI then order your Custom Build from Waiinuiotech
otherwise from CYaBro :)

gary67
13-07-2008, 10:35 AM
Or just build your own if anywhere else

PENTIUM
13-07-2008, 11:05 AM
No advertising. Yeh right!

Poppa John
13-07-2008, 11:18 AM
No advertising. Yeh right!

Come on, be fair. They do a Lot of good on this forum. PJ

wainuitech
13-07-2008, 11:22 AM
No advertising. Yeh right! NO Self advertising - and so the suggestions have been made by forum members as per the forum rules:

7) No commercial posting, spamming, or otherwise using the forum to promote products and services purely for your own gain. This doesn't stop you recommending products and services to other users, nor does it stop a vendor discussing their products in relation to a post.

Pato
13-07-2008, 03:38 PM
People are always singing the praises of Ascent so why not direct people to reliable PC builders on the Forum if you have had a good experience from them.

Trev
13-07-2008, 04:28 PM
Well if they can match Ascents pricing and don't charge freight then I think they would.
:)

wainuitech
13-07-2008, 04:39 PM
As pctek mentioned earlier on - some of the parts prices can be beaten.

Battleneter2
13-07-2008, 05:24 PM
Ascent are generally freaken expensive, not sure why people here care about them so much.

This thread is a "meh who cares" there are plenty of better retailers.

gary67
13-07-2008, 06:15 PM
Ascent are generally freaken expensive, not sure why people here care about them so much.

This thread is a "meh who cares" there are plenty of better retailers.

Care to prove your point and name them? come on enlighten us all, Ascent are as cheap as the opposition and with free postage, their customer service for me has been second to none

Nermal
13-07-2008, 06:24 PM
Personally I'd rather pay a little more for reliability. I've bought from Ascent several times with no issues whatsoever. Once I bought a hard drive from Super Cheap PC, paid extra for overnight delivery, and it arrived a week later. I'll stick to Ascent.

PENTIUM
13-07-2008, 06:55 PM
Right on Nermal.
Jamming stuff together is only part of the equation.
I hate to put my head over the barricades again, but it now seems I could get my mates to recommend my operation!
I often also source components from Paradigm P Cs, usually at better prices and with full manufacturers guarantees and not have to pay a premium for more than 12 months.

Greven
13-07-2008, 07:03 PM
Right on Nermal.
Jamming stuff together is only part of the equation.
I hate to put my head over the barricades again, but it now seems I could get my mates to recommend my operation!
I often also source components from Paradigm P Cs, usually at better prices and with full manufacturers guarantees and not have to pay a premium for more than 12 months.

Ascent aren't much more expensive, and they do give the full manufacturer's warranty.

gary67
13-07-2008, 07:37 PM
Well the lappie hdd I just bought cost more at Paradigm so I went with Ascent and will have it Tuesday, they do seem to have a better delivery time frame to nelson, have tried others so do know that

pctek
13-07-2008, 08:04 PM
Cost is only one factor.
Good customer service is another one which should be a main factor, although far too many people go with cheap and suffer the consequences later.
Good advice, quality parts, skilled staff all come into it.
And lastly location, if your local shop has all of the above then go use them.

fnphoto
14-07-2008, 11:05 AM
This is probably a good thing for Ascents reputation.
I have used Ascent a few times to build customers PC's when I haven't had the time etc and for the the last four or five times they have taken up to a month to supply, in one case 6 weeks when all parts were supposed to be in stock! (They say between 7 - 9 days delivery).
Unfortunately it could also result in staff redundancies too.

PaulD
14-07-2008, 12:43 PM
in one case 6 weeks when all parts were supposed to be in stock!

The "in stock" notation is only as good as the importers' information. It falls down if somebody is slow updating their database.

fnphoto
15-07-2008, 12:46 PM
The "in stock" notation is only as good as the importers' information. It falls down if somebody is slow updating their database.
Thats true, although they have given me other reasons for the slowness e.g 'the order got lost' or overlooked.

I have to say that Ascents parts supply is second to none. I ordered some RAM yesterday at 3:00pm and it was delivered in Kaitaia, 800km away this morning at 8:30 am - fantastic service!!

Trev
15-07-2008, 01:00 PM
It was probibly sourced from Auckland.
:)

PaulD
15-07-2008, 01:04 PM
I have to say that Ascents parts supply is second to none. I ordered some RAM yesterday at 3:00pm and it was delivered in Kaitaia, 800km away this morning at 8:30 am - fantastic service!!

Parts are usually dispatched direct from the supplier so your RAM could have come from Auckland, much less than 800km away :D

fnphoto
15-07-2008, 01:10 PM
Parts are usually dispatched direct from the supplier so your RAM could have come from Auckland, much less than 800km away :D
No it was definately sent from the Wellington area. (actually the supplier - Black Diamond Tech. Ltd. Lower Hutt)

wainuitech
15-07-2008, 01:11 PM
Parts are usually dispatched direct from the supplier so your RAM could have come from Auckland, much less than 800km away :D Sometimes they are some times Not - I can order components from Auckland vendors, and as long as the order is placed before 3.00pm its here in wellington the next morning.

Easy way to find out - look at the courier packaging / receipt that came with it, there it will say where it was sent from.

gary67
15-07-2008, 08:12 PM
Wish it was so for the SI always have to add an extra day here order from NI Sat arrive Wed even from Wellington just across the water makes no sense, ships run all day.

Battleneter2
16-07-2008, 12:22 PM
Care to prove your point and name them? come on enlighten us all, Ascent are as cheap as the opposition and with free postage, their customer service for me has been second to none

Can't be bothered doing to much to reply to this, but Ascent are consistently very expensive even with free postage, do your own homework.

www.pricespy.co.nz

bob_doe_nz
16-07-2008, 12:25 PM
Can't be bothered doing to much to reply to this, but Ascent are consistently very expensive even with free postage, do your own homework.

www.pricespy.co.nz

Wait till you need to return something when it's on the fritz. Then tell us going cheaper is always better.

Then again, I suppose it depends on the component your getting.

wainuitech
16-07-2008, 01:34 PM
Wait till you need to return something when it's on the fritz. Then tell us going cheaper is always better. Its not always concerning warranties as well, just had two people ask for a quotes over the last week - they quoted prices from Pricespy- every single item they quoted was under the wholesale price I can buy it for, I said if they can get the parts for what they quoted go for it, as I weren't interested

Funny after two days one came back saying the shops didn't actually have most of the parts available any more and has asked me for a price on components that are available - each component (Pricespy) was from a different location as well = possible Murder for a warranty if required.