PDA

View Full Version : Apple iPod, MP3 disaster - help needed!

decibel
12-07-2008, 12:12 PM
I have observed the banter over the years regarding the pros and cons of Mac/PC with amusement as it has never really affected/concerned me - until today!

Daughter 1 has an iPod (with an iTunes library on our home computer)
Daughter 2 has a generic MP3 player.

Daughter 2's friend came around with her iPod and between the two of them, screwed Daughter 1's library.
(and the folder the library is in, is one of the few I was not backing up regularly)

Now apparently, it is not a simple question of finding files, converting them to Apple's proprietary format and uploading them.
If the files on the computer don't exactly match the ones already on the iPod, trying to synch them will lose the existing ones on the iPod (according to Daughter 1)

Is there some method of copying the contents of the iPod back to the PC and stopping WWIII at our house?

Thanks.

Jester
12-07-2008, 12:18 PM
You can choose to manage your music manually rather than automatically synching the Ipod to the ITunes library, then it will only copy to/from the Ipod what you want.

I'm not sure though how to change it from auto to manual synching without it starting the process when you first plug it in though, maybe someone else can help.

vitalstatistix
12-07-2008, 02:34 PM
This is what you are looking for
http://www.jakeludington.com/ask_jake/20050627_copy_songs_from_ipod_to_windows.html.

For the record only the DRMd tracks from the iTunes Store are "proprietary". The AAC codec that Apple uses is based on open standards and will play on any other media playing device that supports AAC. aka Advanced Audio Codec.

cbee
13-07-2008, 11:59 AM
I've used Ipod folder before, very simple and easy to use.

http://www.longfingers.com/ipodfolder/

Tukapa
13-07-2008, 08:06 PM
Or do away with the pile of crap that is iTunes and use Winamp with the iPod plugin. That is if you must have an iPod. Obviously after you have sorted out the whole iPod/iTunes mess! :badpc:

vitalstatistix
13-07-2008, 08:26 PM
I would have thought it was rather hard to get iTunes into a major mess, but then again I guess anything is possible with some users.

Greven
13-07-2008, 08:36 PM
I would have thought it was rather hard to get iTunes into a major mess, but then again I guess anything is possible with some users.

That is a bit inflammatory, but I have to agree with you - Itunes doesn't have any silly restrictions that make your files inaccessible if the database is corrupted, so there must be something else wrong too.

The poor design of itunes means it is very easy to wipe an ipod by mistake, but it is not easy to screw up the music library on your computer.

Sweep
13-07-2008, 08:47 PM
As I have said before.

Any time you make something idiot proof the world comes up with a better idiot.

vitalstatistix
13-07-2008, 09:05 PM
That is a bit inflammatory, but I have to agree with you - Itunes doesn't have any silly restrictions that make your files inaccessible if the database is corrupted, so there must be something else wrong too.

The poor design of itunes means it is very easy to wipe an ipod by mistake, but it is not easy to screw up the music library on your computer.

Don't know about "poor" design as such but it is designed to be simple to use although that can confuse some people who are more used to a Windows way of doing things.

gary67
13-07-2008, 09:20 PM
Don't know about "poor" design as such but it is designed to be simple to use although that can confuse some people who are more used to a Windows way of doing things.

Which is very simple

decibel
13-07-2008, 10:19 PM
This is what you are looking for
http://www.jakeludington.com/ask_jake/20050627_copy_songs_from_ipod_to_windows.html.

Unfortunately, this is $US30 that I don't see that I should pay.
In the meantime, I've done what someone suggested on the linked pages and closed iTunes, opened File Explorer and copied the music folder from the iPod to the PC.

It "looks" as though all is OK as the music is now back on the PC, but I'll reserve judgement till Daughter 1 has done a full acceptance test.

This has taught me one lesson though, a simple MP3 player that uploads/downloads music in Explorer is the way I'll be recommending for anyone in the future.

Thanks for all the info, guys.:thumbs:

vitalstatistix
13-07-2008, 10:29 PM
Its a bit tricky diagnosing the problem without knowing exactly what was done in the first place but I am glad you got it sorted. Regarding the link, I basically just Googled your problem and that was one of about 10 possible answers. If you are ever stuck in the future, just type your baci problem in to Google and you should get a good selection of possible answers.

Basically iTunes is supposed to be pretty simple by design so unless the user has done a complete FUBAR - most stuff is generally solvable.

Edit - I just re read the initial problem - the 2nd iPod tried to reset the iTunes library - or it asked if the user wanted to, and the user most likely (unknowingly) clicked yes, thus creating the issue. You can connect another iPod that is not registered to that PC to the iTunes library but from memory you need to click NO for don't change any thing. - Pirating teens tend to swap music with each other in the same way that humans breathe air - it is just regarded as the normal thing to do even though it is illegal.

Greven
13-07-2008, 11:15 PM
Edit - I just re read the initial problem - the 2nd iPod tried to reset the iTunes library - or it asked if the user wanted to, and the user most likely (unknowingly) clicked yes, thus creating the issue. You can connect another iPod that is not registered to that PC to the iTunes library but from memory you need to click NO for don't change any thing. - Pirating teens tend to swap music with each other in the same way that humans breathe air - it is just regarded as the normal thing to do even though it is illegal.

I thought that it didn't offer that by default? I suggest using Winamp for syncing with the ipod - in my opinion, it is much better. It does try to steal the file association for video files - you will have to watch out for that. Best to keep videos associated with windows media player.