PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP Home Validation!!

justinsg
10-07-2008, 03:53 PM
Hi There,

I have just inherited a newish computer from a friend which was completely blank. They also gave me a Windows XP Home Edition CD which is completely genuine (shinyish and genuine) but NO KEY!!

I can verify that this disc is completely genuine but is there ANY possible way to retrieve a key which is going to work for installation and validation??

It hasn't been installed on any other computer anywhere as far as I know.

My case is genuine.

Thanks
Justinsg

Speedy Gonzales
10-07-2008, 04:02 PM
There must be a key somewhere, if your mate gave you the book / manual as well. Or its on the case

Only other way to find the key is if its installed on the pc you could use Jellybean's keyfinder I think its called.

Or ring MS and convince them its genuine, and tell them there's no key

wratterus
10-07-2008, 04:06 PM
Or ring MS and convince them its genuine, and tell them there's no key

What speedy said,

And good luck convincing MS of that!!

If it's an OEM disk, which it probably is, there is no key tied to it, so no way of retrieving it.

pctek
10-07-2008, 04:07 PM
I have just inherited a newish computer from a friend which was completely blank. They also gave me a Windows XP Home Edition CD which is completely genuine (shinyish and genuine) but NO KEY!!

The disk is unimportant.
The important bit is that sticker it comes with - with the serial number on it.
Ask your mate for it or ask him to buy a new one.

justinsg
10-07-2008, 04:20 PM
Cheers for all your replies.

The computer was blank when I got it so I can't use a keyfinder (thanks anyway). I may have to end up ringing MS, as a last resort!!

I can install windows easily (with an illegal key from a website) but I am prompted to validate the software online or by phone. None of the keys that I have are valid - they are either incorrect or unauthorised.

Is there anyway to bypass the validation process legally or illegally?

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

Justinsg

Speedy Gonzales
10-07-2008, 04:26 PM
Is there anyway to bypass the validation process legally or illegally?

If it were legal, MS wouldnt have it in the first place

And since its illegal, to ask that kind of question here, I dont think anyone will answer your question

wainuitech
10-07-2008, 04:36 PM
There is a way to bypass system validation /activation Legally - System builders can use it to update windows, or install windows products that other wise require activation - BUT it still doesn't stop the timer of 30 days to activate. - Dont ask because I'm not saying how.

Please don't ask for illegal activity's , as its not allowed as per the forum rules, and as speedy said I doubt any one will answer any way on how to.

justinsg
10-07-2008, 04:44 PM
Thanks for everything

To save PCWorld the legal trouble I'll google it!

Thanks
Justinsg

Speedy Gonzales
10-07-2008, 04:47 PM
You should read the forum rules sometime

somebody
10-07-2008, 05:22 PM
How new is this "newish" PC? I know of some people who put the COA sticker on the inside of the case (i.e. on the side of the power supply), to prevent it being damaged by kids trying to peel it off, and so on.