PDA

View Full Version : Tv tuner card?

password
09-07-2008, 10:23 PM
OK, on my way for my media center pc!.

I had my pc all hooked up though my tv and played some films through my Graphic Card (Yes i finally got it).

Is there anyway i can run my sky tv through the pc and out the graphics card? (S-video)

I would like to view and record sky to my pc.

I have thought of tv cards but there are so many different things...

What sort will i need?

I will probly load Mediaportal on and use that but i need a way to get it in :blush:

Thanks guys (and gals)

William

Agent_24
10-07-2008, 12:18 AM
You can get standard analog and freeview with most cards but it won't tune sky as it's encrypted.

Only way is to get a card with a capture input and connect that to the output of your sky decoder.

Watch out with most cards though, they may say they can do 4 different things but most of the time only have 1 tuner so can only do 1 of those 4 at once.

eg: If you want to record one thing and watch another at the same time you need to get a dual-tuner card, not a dual-mode card. (or just 2 cards with 1 tuner each)

CYaBro
10-07-2008, 01:49 AM
For capturing from the Sky decoder via S-video I would recommend a Hauppauge PVR150MCE.
They have onboard MPEG2 encoding so keep the load off the CPU.

If you want to be able to watch another free-to-air channel while recording a Sky channel or record two programs at the same time (1 Sky and 1 free-to-air) then get a PVR500MCE.

If you have Sky Digital you will have a sattellite dish on the roof which could be used to receive Freeview. For this you would need a DVB-S card like the Hauppauge Nova-S.

There are also hybrid cards available with more than one type of tuner built in but most seem to be aimed at DVB-T signal plus analogue / s-video and don't have onboard MPEG2 encoding.

My current setup is two DVB-S cards and PVR150MCE. I can record as many Freeview channels as I like at the same time plus one channel on the Sky decoder. :thumbs:
I am using MediaPortal.

password
10-07-2008, 08:52 AM
So is there anyway i can use the decoded output from sky (the AV (yellow, white, red)) to plug it in to the pc or is there not that sort of card round?

CYaBro
10-07-2008, 08:54 AM
So is there anyway i can use the decoded output from sky (the AV (yellow, white, red)) to plug it in to the pc or is there not that sort of card round?

The Hauppauge PVR150MCE also has a composite input - Yellow RCA socket plus the audio left & right - Red & White (which you would use for s-video audio input as well)

password
10-07-2008, 09:03 AM
Cool, would one of these do the trick?
http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=337385

(i have my doubts..)

CYaBro
10-07-2008, 09:16 AM
Cool, would one of these do the trick?
http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=337385

(i have my doubts..)

You probably could get it to work but it doesn't have the hardware MPEG2 encoder built in so the computer CPU would be doing all the work and if your PC is not very grunty then it won't work to well.
These 'software MPEG2' cards aren't really supported in MediaPortal and definitely not in Windows Media Center.

password
10-07-2008, 09:22 AM
yea, i have a Amd athlon dual core..... 2.4 each if my mind serves me well...

Would i be able to run it through the aerial, our sky has a Av out put and a aerial out put (into the VCR) would i be able to run it through the aerial on any old normal card??? Sorry im really n00b at this =P

CYaBro
10-07-2008, 09:49 AM
yea, i have a Amd athlon dual core..... 2.4 each if my mind serves me well...

Would i be able to run it through the aerial, our sky has a Av out put and a aerial out put (into the VCR) would i be able to run it through the aerial on any old normal card??? Sorry im really n00b at this =P

Yep it will work as all TV Tuner cards have the coax aerial input on them.
This will give you crappiest picture though.

password
10-07-2008, 10:01 AM
Yep it will work as all TV Tuner cards have the coax aerial input on them.
This will give you crappiest picture though.

I might do that for a start then move up =D Thanks for your help CYaBro :thanks

utopian201
10-07-2008, 11:22 AM
I'm guessing your graphics card doesnt have video in/video out?

password
10-07-2008, 11:57 AM
its got video out to tv via s-video which works well

Agent_24
10-07-2008, 01:33 PM
Yeah even with a fast CPU I would still recommend a newer, hardware based tuner. Trademe might be able to find you one for cheap(er) too.

because like CYaBro said, the software ones use a lot of CPU time and aren't really that well supported (if at all) by any of the newer mediacenter programs.

I know the Bt878 cards etc are supported by Linux but I doubt you want to have to use it.

I've even got one myself (Askey CPH050 or whatever) I found in a bundle of parts I got off trademe, the drivers were out of date and horrible, causing PC to lock up when resuming from hibernate, and the software was crap. Eventually I upgraded to the drivers from btwincap and used dscaler but even then dscaler sometimes likes to BSOD my PC.

Forunately I have an ATi 550Pro in my other PC also, which actually works...

password
10-07-2008, 05:14 PM
how about one if these?

http://www.xpcomputers.co.nz/views.asp?hw_id=1442

Agent_24
10-07-2008, 06:58 PM
how about one if these?

http://www.xpcomputers.co.nz/views.asp?hw_id=1442

At that price, if it's got a hardware encoder, then I want one!

I'm guessing it's software, not sure what but looking at the shape I wouldn't be surprised if it was a Bt878

if you can find out what encoder/chip it uses you should be able to work out if it's going to be compatible with your mediacenter program (call or email XP computers and they can probably tell you if you can't find anything online)

password
10-07-2008, 09:08 PM
Yea, im looking at a BT878, is that hardware or software?

Agent_24
10-07-2008, 10:09 PM
Yea, im looking at a BT878, is that hardware or software?

Bt878 is a very common software chip used in a lot of cheap cards, been around for a long time but unfortunately I don't think there is support in mediaportal for just any Bt878-based cards.

Some people may have got it working with a few BT878 cards (especially Hauppauge as they are well-known) but I don't think there is any easy way to make just any Bt878 based card work.

The problem here is that without actually having the card already it's not easy to work out if it will work good or not... of course you could buy it, try it, and make sure you can refund if it doesn't work with your software...

For mediaportal though there are some recommended cards:

Supported software cards: http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/Supported_TVCards/Analog_Software_Encoding

Supported hardware cards: http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/Supported_TVCards/Analog_Hardware_Encoding

How to get software cards working: http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/UserGuides/SW-Cards_setup

Also try on the mediaportal forums, there might be people who already use the card you want to buy and know how to get it working... Otherwise the easiest and best way would be to buy a known working hardware-encoding card, that way you know it will work and you won't be using too much CPU time to run it.

password
10-07-2008, 10:45 PM
Awesome Agent, thanks, i will have a cruse through those links.

Thanks,
William