PDA

View Full Version : DVD drive

EviLClouD
08-07-2008, 11:49 PM
Hi guys, i've got a problem here.
First off my dvd drive doesn't appear to write to dvd's. I've tried about 5-6 and they've all failed the verify data part. It works perfectly everytime on my old drive though, just not this one. Software used is the supplied nero. Secondly i tried to burn another dvd tonight and it froze my pc, along with making some weird 'grinding like' noises. Is it safe to say, my dvd drive is dead? Or is it a non drive related problem?

Drive is a Asus 2014L1T sata on windows vista home premium.

Cheers

wratterus
09-07-2008, 12:46 AM
Grinding noise = not software. :p

I'd try a head cleaning DVD if you can get your hands on one, but it does sound as if your drive is dieing.

Probably still under warranty? Contact whoever you bought it off.

Also try it in a different PC if you can.

combatwombat_nz
09-07-2008, 12:48 AM
Prob just cos' you use Vista :-D

Seriously though, if the DVD drive fails every write, on different media, and makes weird noises, then replace it. It isn't worth shagging around with it. But it cannot be that old. Still under warranty?

combatwombat_nz
09-07-2008, 12:49 AM
ah Wratterus, you beat me to it, must type faster...
You found a Wombat too ...

wratterus
09-07-2008, 12:51 AM
ah Wratterus, you beat me to it, must type faster...
You found a Wombat too ...

Mowahahah. You gotta be quick round here.

Yeah, there was a bit of an embarrassment around the area I live recently, a man claimed he was raped by a wombat.

So we are being careful to eradicate all the wombats, to prevent the problem happening again. Which is why I'm watching for them. :p

feersumendjinn
09-07-2008, 01:22 AM
If you're using Nero 7 on Vista, it will cause all sorts of problems as it's not compatible, you need to download the latest update (http://www.nero.com/eng/downloads-nero7-update.php) (be aware it is a large file (388MB)).

Fixed all my problems :)

SolMiester
09-07-2008, 09:08 AM
A software update is NOT going to fix a hardware grinding noise....