PDA

View Full Version : Access Point to Access point

berryb
08-07-2008, 06:00 PM
Hi

Not sure how to do this if it is possible?? Have client with a new xtra supplied Wireless router (haven't got the model info yet) and have an old Mac that they want to connect via wireless. Issue is Mac doesn't have any onboard wireless and it could be an issue to get an addon card. I was thinking of using the ethernet port on mac to an access point that is connected to the Xtra supplied wireless router via wireless.

Is this possible and if so is this is bridge mode? So far I have been told this would require a total of 3 access points, 2 in bridge mode and the xtra one.

Just not worth it if this the case and would run some Cat cable

berryb
08-07-2008, 10:13 PM
Other way is to get a usb wireless for mac but can't find anything compatible with Mac. Any one know of anything?

CYaBro
08-07-2008, 11:36 PM
I've used one of these (http://www.snapper.net.nz/Packages/FernShopUni/FernShopUni/Pub.Shop.Product/PID/0FEA328A/LINK/Pub.Shop.Product_BTN_DETAILS0FEA328A/TYPE/details/ROOT/SNAPPER) before to link a MAC, which was downstairs, to an Xtra broadband connection where the ADSL router was upstairs.

I set it to AP client mode which means you can make any ethernet device a wireless device.

berryb
09-07-2008, 01:01 PM
Thanks will check it out