PDA

View Full Version : computer wont POST when hdd plugged in

mOOseCaNNoN
08-07-2008, 02:36 PM
Hi all,
I have two SATA hard drives, one 320gb and one 500gb, the 320 is my primary with xp loaded and i use the 500gb for most of my data. Today when i turned my computer on it didn't POST (didnt beep and no signal on monitor). When i unplug my 320gb it gets past post but obviously doesnt load anything because the 500gb has no OS loaded on. I've tried plugging in an old hdd i used that still has an old installation of xp from the same machine and it doesnt POST with that either. I've turned it on with both hard drives plugged in and a couple of times it did past POST and got to verifying DMI data pool... but then when it should have started loading XP the screen just had no signal...
could this be a motherboard problem? I've tried unplugging from the wall and leaving for a couple of minutes, didnt work, tried popping out the ram and all my cards, didnt work.
What can I do to diagnose ?

Cheers

CYaBro
08-07-2008, 03:03 PM
Have you tried with just the 320GB HDD?
Disconnect power and data cables from all other HDDs and optical drives as well.

Agent_24
08-07-2008, 03:41 PM
Maybe your PSU is stuffed

mOOseCaNNoN
08-07-2008, 04:13 PM
hmm strange, i pulled out all the sata cables from the motherboard and drives, plugged them back in, must have been some dust in there...
I have a 450W PSU running an 8800GT and 3 hard drives, is there too much load?