PDA

View Full Version : IE7 v's FF3

fnphoto
08-07-2008, 01:51 PM
When Firefox 3 was released I decided to install it and use it for approx 50% of my web surfing to try to get an unbiased users view. Previously I used IE7 exclusively - just because it was there & handy.
Personally I have had not one bit of trouble with either browser and can see no differerence in speed or performance with either using a broadband connection. I have good antivirus & spyware programs, don't work for the SIS or at the Beehive so security holes don't stress me out.
For example IE7 is using 53838 K of memory, FF3 is using 56344 K with the same two pages open (tabbed but not at the same time).
Opening times & access times to sites seem about the same (don't really notice the difference in nanoseconds at my age). Features are all roughly similar (albeit different names). Some sites show correctly in IE7, some in FF3, most sites in both etc. etc. etc

So all this stuff people say about IE7 or FF3 being the 'best', is it really a case of 'I hate Microsoft so I use IE, or 'I'm a geek so I'll use FF' or 'I'm super paraniod so I'll use FF because it hasn't so many holes'.

So now I have two browsers taking up HD space (-plenty of that spare!) and am happy with both....dunno????
What do others really think?

:happybday P.S Peace & Love for Ringo's birthday

pctek
08-07-2008, 02:13 PM
Well I had a customer with both. He got a hijacker one day, so to show him I went over and opened The TAB site in IE - instant redirection, couldn't get it to go to the TAB like he wanted.
Now open same using FF - no problem.

Ok, I then removed the hijacker, cause we don't want that sort of thing at all, but it proved the point the IE is more of a target for that sort of thing.

pcuser42
08-07-2008, 02:25 PM
Firefox is also a lot more customisable via addons. I have Adblock Plus to block ads, so precious bandwidth isn't wasted. :)

fnphoto
08-07-2008, 03:18 PM
Well I had a customer with both. He got a hijacker one day, so to show him I went over and opened The TAB site in IE - instant redirection, couldn't get it to go to the TAB like he wanted.
Now open same using FF - no problem.

mmmmmmmm ....just did a google search for Firefox 3 problems, got a whole truckload of responses. Maybe I'll wait & look at IE8 when it is released. It's supposed to become the 'bees knees". Don't like the beta at the moment as there is no support yet for my Google toolbar which I'm a fan of. FF4 may also support all website coding too.......???

Firefox is also a lot more customisable via addons. I have Adblock Plus to block ads, so precious bandwidth isn't wasted. :)

400 plus addons for IE7:

http://www.windowsmarketplace.com/category.aspx?bcatid=3500

gary67
08-07-2008, 08:02 PM
I use FF3 mainly but occasionly IE7 with no problems like you but on my wifes machine IE7 is about a 1/4 the speed of FF3 at loading pages I run an intel she runs an amd aprt from that specs are almost identical

Crow1985
08-07-2008, 09:58 PM
The big problem of IE7 is Active X and the IE is less customazible.