PDA

View Full Version : Autochk prog not found

mzee
08-07-2008, 11:05 AM
I have two xp's on my computer. The one in 1st Primary is for general use. The second in 2nd Primary contains Vmware with 98 second edition for some old software which does not like XP. Also have Puppy Linux in a Logical partition, runs OK as does the 1st Primary XP.
The 2nd has stopped booting, comes up with "Autochk.exe prog not found" & resets. I have done the following:-
1] Reformatted the partition and Restored from an Acronis Image. I know the Image is good as I have used it several times, tried earlier ones too without the Vmware.
2] Done "fixboot" & "fixmbr" with XP CD.

How do I fix it? Or how can I stop it looking for "Autochk" & resetting?

This happened after I attempted to install Ubuntu on another Logical partition.:mad:

pctek
08-07-2008, 12:33 PM
Have a read here:
http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic7746.html

mzee
08-07-2008, 02:02 PM
Have tried all that!
Not hidden. Marks as "Boot" when it tries to load.
In safe mode reads system32 files then stops so must know where Windows is.

????
:xmouth:

pctek
08-07-2008, 02:11 PM
I didn't mean the hidden part. I meant the rest.

Why have you got 2 XP partitions anyway? Recipe for screw-ups right there. WHy not just VM on the 1st (and only) XP partition?

I'd say its now corrupt, no idea how you'd do a repair on it, try it, it should, in theory see both installs and ask which one you want to repair.

mzee
08-07-2008, 05:49 PM
Fixed!!!

Reason for two xp's is that the vmware version takes longer to boot when in a full system install, so the Vmware is in a raw xp, only mb drivers. It is only used for a spare parts database which will not run on XP.

Edited the boot.ini (in the Image) for the 2nd xp to read partition (1). Told Acronis to put it in partition 2, after questioning my sanity it installed in partition 2, then rebooted and did something, then returned to partition1 where the Acronis lives. Had a look at the boot.ini and it had been changed to (2). Now it boots fine on both Windows.

What do you think Acronis did when it rebooted, the boot.ini looks the same as the original ?
It seems that by setting up the boot.ini wrong provoked drastic action by Acronis. Anyway it works.