PDA

View Full Version : TV card, need better capture program

williamF
07-07-2008, 04:23 PM
hi. i have this oldish (lifeview flyvideo) TV/Video caputure card and i would like to use it to replace my VCR but the program supplied with the card (and updated/different drivers/programs) are unstable and dont have the functions im looking for, preferably something similar to most VCRs (timer record etc)

Agent_24
07-07-2008, 05:23 PM
Dscaler might do it

Rod J
08-07-2008, 01:17 AM
Hi,

I use a quirky (but free) TV card PVR program called "K!TV" with my old TView2000 card. It does the job, has a scheduler you can set up to record TV programs just like a VCR. It's actually quite full featured, but because it's French some of the error messages and dialog boxes here and there are in French (but most of the interface is English). It took me quite a while to get it all working and I can record programs using Xvid for compression with some success. Though you do need a powerful PC to do this in realtime (recent Core2-Duo recommended). If you have absolutely acres of hard drive space you can record uncompressed and then do a 2-pass Xvid or DivX compression which gives much better quality with less CPU grunt.

You can download K!TV from here: http://www.kastortv.org/

williamF
08-07-2008, 03:44 AM
tried configuring DScaler,
no go, maybe me or is just the OS its on (98se) but it says it cant open something, and it doesnt auto detect the card i dont think, or it doesnt support it
will try K!TV, it looks ok from the description so will see how it goes

williamF
08-07-2008, 05:10 AM
K!TV = nope. of all the TV cards my one is the one that it doesnt play nice with.
K!TV doesnt even pick it up

JJJJJ
08-07-2008, 08:24 AM
Try "SNAGIT". Not free, but a months free trial is allowed

Bantu
08-07-2008, 09:16 AM
What is it you are trying to record?
Analogue TV, Satellite Freeview TV, Freeview UHF, or recording from another device?

IF You are recording TV programs then Win98 would not cut it to record an hour long program as it can only see Fat32, a 1 hr TV program would probably be more than that thus blow the 2Gb limit that Fat32 has as opposed to NTFS.

Rod J
08-07-2008, 05:31 PM
I don't think my card was detected (correctly at least) by K!TV either. I had to tune it all in manually. Did you try that? With K!TV running try going to Setup, Source Setup and experiment with the Card Model choices there. Mine works fine with-- Card Model: "Askey/Typhoon/Anubis Magic TView CPH051/06" Tuner Type: Manual Tuner. I had to tune all the channels in manually also; but it does work (just takes a while to get there). :)

There are several FlyVideo models in the Card Model list. Did you try those? You may still have to tune the channels manually in any case.

williamF
08-07-2008, 06:08 PM
What is it you are trying to record?
Analogue TV, Satellite Freeview TV, Freeview UHF, or recording from another device?

IF You are recording TV programs then Win98 would not cut it to record an hour long program as it can only see Fat32, a 1 hr TV program would probably be more than that thus blow the 2Gb limit that Fat32 has as opposed to NTFS.
fat32 does more than 2 gig mate (even fat16 can do a maximum of 4 gig), that and i have a few 4 gig Hdds,
btw its an analouge TV card

williamF
08-07-2008, 06:13 PM
I don't think my card was detected (correctly at least) by K!TV either. I had to tune it all in manually. Did you try that? With K!TV running try going to Setup, Source Setup and experiment with the Card Model choices there. Mine works fine with-- Card Model: "Askey/Typhoon/Anubis Magic TView CPH051/06" Tuner Type: Manual Tuner. I had to tune all the channels in manually also; but it does work (just takes a while to get there). :)

There are several FlyVideo models in the Card Model list. Did you try those? You may still have to tune the channels manually in any case.

all K!TV comes up with is the splash screen on startup and displays no source found for a fraction of a second, hence cant do anything in the interface as you mentioned

williamF
09-07-2008, 05:49 AM
fat32 does more than 2 gig mate (even fat16 can do a maximum of 4 gig), that and i have a few 4 gig Hdds,
opps its FAT/FAT16 that only does 2 gig maximum:o but FAT32 can do more than 2 gig:D. possibly the maximum upper limit for FAT32 is a few hundred GB or more:eek: (40gb using older Cyl Head Sect addressing more using LBA)

Bantu
09-07-2008, 09:21 AM

Sorry, yes. Maximum file size 4Gb not 2Gb.

What are you trying to record?

williamF
10-07-2008, 01:36 AM
What are you trying to record?
i was gonna use it to record programs when and if im not avalible to watch, an hour to 2 hours at most and different channels, mainly cause im trying to avoid VHS these days due to the digital age catching up on me and i cant really afford a DVD or HDD recorder, no rush but it would still be good if there is a decent single program that'll work with my card or a "phillips proteus (7134) WDM video capture" also i did try that driver with DScaler and K!TV no-go, still didnt pick it up, i may try 2k or XP OS'es later and try DScaler and K!TV with a non 9x based OS and see if its any better at picking up my card

williamF
11-07-2008, 02:21 AM
:badpc: i am getting sick of this damned TV card, i've installed phillips proteus 713x drivers which are the "correct" drivers for it however still isnt detected by K!TV etc and even the phillips supplied program that came with those drivers doesnt tune the channels in (white noise, fuzz on screen and unresponsive channel selector) i have tried ME, 2k and XP (in no particular order) and either other software didnt work properly or was incompatible with the FM tuner on the vibra16C sound card so i've gone back to 98SE which i can get something and most things vaugly working [/rant]

williamF
14-07-2008, 05:45 AM
i have decided to put up with the record scheduler program that comes with the lifeview flyvideo software, the latest version is reasonably stable and records at a decent speed and quality in MPG (600 - 700 meg for around an hours worth) i hav'nt tried AVI however a few tests with the older program resulted in 700+ meg files for only 3 minutes!! if i had the space i would record in avi but with the 4 gig hdd i have i would barley get 15 minutes on there, (i'll try AVI with the newer program and see how much space it takes per minute)

i've still got the issue of the multiple program recording as no program will work on my card except the one supplied (which plainly sucks). unless my card is obsoleted or not on the list (phillips proteus 7130/7134 based chipset) i may need one that is able to work on those programs you've suggested

Agent_24
14-07-2008, 09:47 AM
:badpc: i am getting sick of this damned TV card, i've installed phillips proteus 713x drivers which are the "correct" drivers for it however still isnt detected by K!TV etc and even the phillips supplied program that came with those drivers doesnt tune the channels in (white noise, fuzz on screen and unresponsive channel selector) i have tried ME, 2k and XP (in no particular order) and either other software didnt work properly or was incompatible with the FM tuner on the vibra16C sound card so i've gone back to 98SE which i can get something and most things vaugly working [/rant]

what you have to remember is that even though the drivers of the card/encoder are right, you still need to get the tuner settings correct too, As different cards will have different tuners for different countries, which of course all require different configurations. That's probably why the card seems to work but can't tune anything

You said your card was a "lifeview flyvideo" but which one? There are a lot of different cards that start with that name too...

williamF
14-07-2008, 05:37 PM
You said your card was a "lifeview flyvideo" but which one? There are a lot of different cards that start with that name too...
it doesnt say on the card but is based on phillips hardware (equivalent to a proteus 7134) it just has lifeview flyvideo slapped over it

Agent_24
14-07-2008, 08:58 PM
http://auzol.narod.ru/index_e.html have you tried this?

williamF
15-07-2008, 12:47 AM
http://auzol.narod.ru/index_e.html have you tried this?

:cool: works, but the 30 day trial is a bit of a put off:groan::annoyed:.

Agent_24
15-07-2008, 01:34 AM
Sorry, didn't notice it was a trial :blush:

If it does work you could buy it - or spend the money on a better card..

williamF
20-07-2008, 04:06 AM
i have bought a different card (pixelveiw i think) and newer motherboard, as i havent recived them yet i am in the process of writing my own recording scheduler, in VB and from scratch. the program will just automaticly edit/replace the ini file used by recsched and resets said app so it re-reads the new ini file and start recording after a few seconds (thats the theory anyway) obviasly the program is a bit crude as my VB is limited and little to no knowledge of using databases in there