PDA

View Full Version : Just checking what security I need to protect my Vista computer

ssssss
06-07-2008, 09:48 PM
I have to confess to being stupid when it comes to Antivirus programs, spyware and firewall. But I have decided not to use Norton due to the poor reputation it has got. Please make any replies to me simple!
What I would like to do is use AVG antivirus from the PC World disc, Windows Defender and Windows Firewall. I am sure this isn't perfect, but would it give me fair, easy to use protection?
Thank you

Speedy Gonzales
06-07-2008, 09:57 PM
I would use Avast, AVG has too many probs

If you dont use P2P programs, I wouldnt botther with a firewall

wainuitech
06-07-2008, 10:47 PM
Antivirus:

Free - Avast
Paid - Nod32

Antispyware:

All Free - MalwareBytes , Spybot S & D ( available from my Sig Below) also Spyware Terminator (http://www.spywareterminator.com/)

System / Temp Cleaner: - Ccleaner

Firewall - Comodo

ssssss
07-07-2008, 07:41 PM
Thanks

Am I right in thinking one can use two antispyware programs like Windows Defender and Spybot search and destroy, at the same time? But not two different antivirus programs and not two Firewall programs at the same time.

gary67
07-07-2008, 07:50 PM
The only thing you can't definately have 2 of is firewalls you can only have one,

are you coming to the lunch in Richmond this Saturday 12.30 at the mall?

ssssss
07-07-2008, 07:54 PM
are you coming to the lunch in Richmond this Saturday 12.30 at the mall?

Sorry can't come to the lunch. I am too unsociable. Who's organising it though?

gary67
07-07-2008, 09:03 PM
Me I am sort of the organiser I guess

wainuitech
07-07-2008, 09:17 PM
Thanks

Am I right in thinking one can use two antispyware programs like Windows Defender and Spybot search and destroy, at the same time? But not two different antivirus programs and not two Firewall programs at the same time.
Basic Rules:

1 Antivirus - If you have more than 1 they can sometimes clash
1 Firewall

As many antispyware programs as you want, they usually play nice together, but don't go overboard. Three good free ones are plenty.

Recommendations : Spybot S& D , Spyware Terminator , Malware bytes and /or Adaware 2008.

Spyware Doctor Free Starter Edition is good as well, BUT lately after a short time some of the updates change it to a paid/trial one.

drcspy
08-07-2008, 03:36 AM

BAD advice !

pcuser42
08-07-2008, 09:04 AM

:eek:

That's not like you Speedy.

pctek
08-07-2008, 10:04 AM
Tone can use two antispyware programs like Windows Defender and Spybot search and destroy, at the same time?

Go with what Wainuitech has suggested.
WIndows Defender is the most useless piece of rubbish I've seen. It finds bugger all.

ssssss
11-07-2008, 11:48 PM
I am looking at the PCWorld free DVD.
Am looking at Avast and Spybot Search and Destroy.
Why aren't these two programs both provided for the Windows Vista OS on the DVD?
It will take forever to download them from the net using DialUp which is all I have got

Speedy Gonzales
11-07-2008, 11:58 PM
BAD advice !

:eek:

That's not like you Speedy.

Thats one reason why I'm not using a firewall on either of these

Haven't used one for about an yr an 1/2 - 2 years

I'm just using XP's firewall now.

I bet most people who are using P2P programs now, with a firewall get infected anyway

So whats the point in having one whether its already installed, or if you install one later?

PCWorld cant put every program on the planet on the DVD