PDA

View Full Version : Wireless linksys router

Richardd150
04-07-2008, 08:55 PM
Hi all.
I have recently installed a wireless router (WRT54gl) connected to a TelstraClear cable modem. After the usual drama I got it going well. Problem is that I have moved my PC to another room and if I turn off the router I permanently lose my internet connection (the wireless network still looks fine, I see other networks, and I can change the router configuration through its web utility). I can only get it back by reconnecting all the cables, resetting it to factory defaults and reconfiguring. Then of course I turn the router of again to move it to the other room and I lose the connection again.
I do test the wireless network is working before I turn of the router by disconnecting the network cable from the back of my PC and doing some surfing.
If I use an extension power cord to move the router between rooms then I don't cut the power and don't lose the connection. Should I need to go to such lengths?

Looking forward to your advice.

Speedy Gonzales
04-07-2008, 09:02 PM
Ah yeah you wont get on the net, if you d/c the power to the router

The wireless PC's are probably picking up wireless networks around you, which is why they can get on the net (youre using someone elses access)

Richardd150
04-07-2008, 09:24 PM
Thanks Speedy.

The situation is I get the internet connection working (through my own wireless network, not my neighbours) then disconnect the router (from PC and power), move it to another room, and plug the power back in. All lights flashing correctly etc.
Nevermind, fifth time lucky. This time the internet connection sweetly resumed when power reconnected.
Thanks again for your time and advice.

Speedy Gonzales
04-07-2008, 09:30 PM
No probs.

Hmm could be a faulty phone extn if you use one.

Some routers do go out of sync tho (ie: this one)

Altho it could be the exchange playing up

wainuitech
04-07-2008, 09:44 PM
Then of course I turn the router of again to move it to the other room and I lose the connection again.If its The Telstra Cable modem, then how are you connecting the router to it in another room , or do you have a long Ethernet cable - its NOT meant to be going through a telephone jack point if that's how you have it ????

The modem has a Ethernet port, that has a Cat5 cable going from the back of the modem to the Internet port on the router, the wireless then transmits the signal.

Richardd150
04-07-2008, 09:55 PM
Hi wainuitech.

It wasn't easy! Cables were stretched to the max. My set up is the cable modem connected by a short ethernet cable to the wireless router which of course transmits to my PC in the other room. Phone lines and jack points not involved at all. So all is well - I'm shifting the PC even further away in the house soon, so hopefully these issues don't happen again as I don't have an ethernet cable that long to set things up again!
This is great experience, learning heaps.
Cheers!

wainuitech
04-07-2008, 10:07 PM
Cool- you can always make a cable to suit the length required - cheaper than buying a pre made one, you can have up to around 100mtrs before you start losing signal strength.

Just yell if you need instructions on making them, its cheaper to buy a roll of Cat5 cable and separate plugs/boots and a set of crimping pliers, then make your own instead of buying premade.

Richardd150
05-07-2008, 07:00 AM
Thank:thanks Wainuitech. Much appreciated.

jinja_thom
05-07-2008, 10:43 AM
You should not need to reconfigure your router after switching it off, I don't know of any router that does not have a save facility to retain settings over a power down.

I live in an area where cable internet is common and know lots of set ups where the modem is installed in the garage with a wireless router to cover the whole house. The pc(s) can be moved to any location within wireless range and the modem and router never need to be touched.

If settings do need to be changed, I wire connect a laptop to the router in the garage, make the changes, save them and disconnect the laptop.
In the event of a supply failure, the modem and router simply reboot and carry on working when the power is restored.

HTH