PDA

View Full Version : NOD32 on SBS2000

hcl
04-07-2008, 11:07 AM
I've just installed Nod32 2.7 (because version 3 doesn't support exchange yet) on a SBS 2000 server & I can't get it to update.

I've set up all the proxy information, but when I try to update on the server, it says connection failure. I used the same settings on one of the workstations & it downloaded the updates no problem.

What am I doing wrong?

nofam
04-07-2008, 11:32 AM
Could it possibly be a DNS lookup issue with the server??

hcl
04-07-2008, 11:39 AM
Could it possibly be a DNS lookup issue with the server??

IE is working. That would make it unlikely to be a DNS issue. IE has the same proxy settings as I put in Nod.

hcl
04-07-2008, 12:00 PM
Firefox also works, but I didn't have to put in a username and password for it - just set the proxy address and port. Those settings didn't work in Nod either

nofam
04-07-2008, 12:07 PM
Have you made sure it's able to use the proxy server settings for all types of traffic and protocols? The NOD updates may be coming over FTP rather than HTTP etc?

hcl
04-07-2008, 12:21 PM
Have you made sure it's able to use the proxy server settings for all types of traffic and protocols? The NOD updates may be coming over FTP rather than HTTP etc?

Nod only has one place to enter proxy information & it doesn't have anything about different protocols.

I just found out the workstations can access the net without the proxy set up, but the server can't. ISA must be set to allow the traffic through without going through the proxy because the traffic has to go through the server to get to the router. Any idea why it would let traffic through from the workstations without authentication, but not itself?

SolMiester
04-07-2008, 12:34 PM
Are you sure the workstations are using the SBS for the gateway and not the router directly?....
Did you put in the username and pw for Nod?

hcl
04-07-2008, 06:34 PM
Are you sure the workstations are using the SBS for the gateway and not the router directly?....
Did you put in the username and pw for Nod?

I put in the username and password. I even tried rolling out the same config file to all workstations & the server. all workstations worked, but server didn't.

Nod32 started blocking outbound emails, so I uninstalled it (on the server - all the workstations are AOK). I will try to get it running again on Monday.

The workstations use the server as a gateway. They can't get to the router directly - it is connected directly to the server & then the server goes out to the switch through the second network card.

wainuitech
04-07-2008, 08:17 PM
Had a similar problem with a customers Server & workstations- heres what worked for me after changing all the workstations and server.

Open the Nod Control Center, Go to the Bottom Update/ On the window in the right that opens, click Setup.
Bottom Right of new window, click Advanced, Under proxy server click the setting button, tick the Proxy server, in the proxy Server Address put in what ever your proxy Server address/details are, In the user name and password, use the Administrators user name and password you set - NOT the nod32 user name and password.

hcl
08-07-2008, 12:13 PM
Had a similar problem with a customers Server & workstations- heres what worked for me after changing all the workstations and server.

Open the Nod Control Center, Go to the Bottom Update/ On the window in the right that opens, click Setup.
Bottom Right of new window, click Advanced, Under proxy server click the setting button, tick the Proxy server, in the proxy Server Address put in what ever your proxy Server address/details are, In the user name and password, use the Administrators user name and password you set - NOT the nod32 user name and password.

I was already using the administrator username & password in the proxy settings.

Can anyone help me understand why NOD was blocking outgoing emails but not incoming ones? I didn't have these problems when installing NOD on SBS2003 servers.

nofam
08-07-2008, 12:26 PM
Obvious thing to check would be your port blocking, as POP uses a different one to SMTP (25 as opposed to 110)

SolMiester
08-07-2008, 12:28 PM
How did you configure ISA on the SBS2000 server?

CYaBro
08-07-2008, 12:28 PM
If you are installing NOD32 on a server are you following the recommended config for a server?
i.e. DO NOT install IMON - Disable scanning of certain Windows system files - Disable scanning of the Exchange folder etc

Also how are the workstations getting their updates?
Normally the server would get the updates from NOD32 server then host them locally for the workstations.
So the workstations don't even need internet access to get the NOD32 updates from the SBS box.

wainuitech
08-07-2008, 02:14 PM
Also how are the workstations getting their updates?
Normally the server would get the updates from NOD32 server then host them locally for the workstations. That's an interesting point - the server should be issuing out the updates - might sound silly, but have you tried turning the proxy setting off, and trying like that - if the workstations are updating then it appears they are not going through the server.

Also - no firewall stopping it ??

Also just reading more on Esets site - "If you use a proxy server, click on the Detect button to check for one"

I was just speaking to one of the tech guys at chillisoft,( NZ distributor) about another matter - and mentioned this- according to him the only thing that would normally stop it is incorrect proxy settings ( if using a proxy)

hcl
14-07-2008, 02:30 PM
That's an interesting point - the server should be issuing out the updates - might sound silly, but have you tried turning the proxy setting off, and trying like that - if the workstations are updating then it appears they are not going through the server.

Also - no firewall stopping it ??

Also just reading more on Esets site - "If you use a proxy server, click on the Detect button to check for one"

I was just speaking to one of the tech guys at chillisoft,( NZ distributor) about another matter - and mentioned this- according to him the only thing that would normally stop it is incorrect proxy settings ( if using a proxy)

I talked to chillisoft about it too, and they couldn't think of anything that could be causing it.
It doesn't work with or without proxy settings. It didn't work with the usual setup (proxy details entered, no username & password entered, connect to LAN as system account) so I tried entering domainname\administrator & password & tried all the different connect to LAN options - nothing worked.

The workstations are updating directly from Eset.

I'm sure it must be the proxy, but I've got no idea how to find out exactly what is going wrong with the proxy.

The router is plugged into the server & all the workstations connect to the internet through the ISA server. ISA is configured to allow the workstations internet access without authentication, but anything running on the server still requires authentication.

wainuitech
14-07-2008, 04:05 PM
Hmmm Stab in the dark - but have you tried setting the port for Nod32 (on the server) to use port 80, I'm assuming that a standard web browser will work OK. ?????