PDA

View Full Version : Buying a second-hand data projector

Ulsterman
04-07-2008, 10:30 AM
I'm wanting to buy a second-hand data projector and I see on Trade Me that the price varies from $50 - $2000.

Obviously you only get what you pay for, but what do you think is a good price?
I would like to get value for money, but what to buy?

I want to keep the price down as I am buying it for our church and as you know, church finance is always tight.

I want to be able to project a video signal as well as a laptop.

Thanks for your help.:thanks

wratterus
04-07-2008, 10:40 AM
Mmm church finance. Lets not go there.

You want to look at reviews - look at manufacturers sites, how big you need the picture to be find out the info you want....

Then look on TradeMe. Otherwise it gets confusing, looking through such a diverse selection when your not sure what your looking for. :(

Something like this would be good for a church environment.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Electronics-photography/Projectors/auction-162942405.htm

Here's a review

http://www.digitalhomemag.com/reviews/default.asp?pagetypeid=2&articleid=36784&subsectionid=1306&subsubsectionid=956

Have you considered going widescreen? Much better (I guess you'll be using PowerPoint, ProjectIt etc for songs and sermon notes mostly?) because you can have a much bigger image, more text on the screen than with a 4:3 projector. With 4:3 you end up either having people unable to see over others heads, or losing 30% - 50% of the screen real estate - unless you have a crazy high ceiling or something.

SolMiester
04-07-2008, 12:40 PM
Churches & crazy high ceilings......check...LOL

My 3&1/2 year old Tosh S20 cost $2700, lamps cost about $400.....its only SVGA so max native res is only 800x600, now this isnt really a problem, but most screens are now 1024 x 768, so a xga projector would be better.

Also, as you will probably be viewing during the day, you will wont a decent lumens ratio....

If you buy any 2nd hand projector, you will undoubtly have to buy a new bulb so keep that in mind!

utopian201
04-07-2008, 03:36 PM
see if there is any information on how many hours the projector has been used. The lamp in it may be close to dying, and the owner may be looking to turf the projector before it needs a new lamp replacement.

paulw
04-07-2008, 04:07 PM
I'm wanting to buy a second-hand data projector and I see on Trade Me that the price varies from $50 - $2000.

Obviously you only get what you pay for, but what do you think is a good price?
I would like to get value for money, but what to buy?

I want to keep the price down as I am buying it for our church and as you know, church finance is always tight.

I want to be able to project a video signal as well as a laptop.

Thanks for your help.:thanks

As your in Auckland go and have a look at PBtech in Penrose. They had some quite cheap projectors the other month..