PDA

View Full Version : uninstall ubantu

Colpol
04-07-2008, 07:49 AM
Hi people.
I have a Dell Dimension 2300 (XP home with sp3)with two 40 gb HDs. I put Ubantu on one drive.
When I did this the drive disapeared from explorer(Still visible in device manger). I understand this is because of the file system.
I now wish to uninstall Ubantu and claim the drive back.
How do I uninstall Ubantu? and will the drive become visible once I do?

Cheers
Colin

Blam
04-07-2008, 08:14 AM
Delete the partition in Disk Management then rewrite the mbr file with somthing like EASY BCD

wainuitech
04-07-2008, 08:16 AM
Go into Control Panel/Admin tools/Computer Management/Storage/Disk management and right click the drive that has ubuntu, and format it.

You prob have to alter the boot.ini file in windows as well as it may be set to dual boot windows & Ubuntu - do you get the option on start up to select either system ?

Colpol
04-07-2008, 09:02 AM
Thanks WT. Did that and all good.:thanks :thumbs: :thumbs:
Checked Boot.ini in msconfig. Looks like it needs to be edited. Did a search for file to edit.
All I found was Boot.ini.backup. Have copied it below.

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOW S
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

Where do I find the working file, and what do I edit it to?

Cheers
Colin:thanks

wainuitech
04-07-2008, 09:30 AM
No point in reinventing the wheel so to speak - go to This Microsoft site (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/289022) - tells you how to edit the boot file, as well as gives examples of a standard boot.ini.

Mind you, if its not causing any problems and not asking for a dual boot you can also leave it alone.

Colpol
04-07-2008, 11:11 AM
Now when I turn on I get a message saying

"GRUB loading-please wait...
Error 17

and it stops. This is after the Dell Post? screen.
I can still load it by pressing f12 to give boot options.

Colpol
04-07-2008, 11:14 AM
Got that wrong.
Cant go through boot menu. Get error19.
Can get into setup.

Nermal
04-07-2008, 11:31 AM
That's because GRUB (the Ubuntu "loader") sits on the first hard drive. You'll need to start up from your Windows CD, go to the console (I think you press R at the first menu) and type "fixboot" to reinstall the Windows loader.

Colpol
04-07-2008, 12:36 PM
Thanks Nermal.
I reinstalled the system a few months ago and dont rember putting in a password but it keeps asking for one.
Have treid all passwords I would have used.
Is this where I need to remove the cmos battery?

wainuitech
04-07-2008, 12:55 PM
If its the administrator password its asking for, by default its blank, you simply hit <Enter> and it should go to the next stage/prompt.

Colpol
04-07-2008, 12:56 PM
Dumb me. It is not a CMOS problem.
Any ideas on how to get past that section. I dont really want to reload the whole OS as it takes forever.

wainuitech
04-07-2008, 01:30 PM
Did you try a blank Password as per Post #10 ?

Colpol
04-07-2008, 01:51 PM
Thanks Speedy.
Tried that. Just goes to
C:\Windows

Reloaded Ubantu thinking it would reset itself. Ubantu went on OK and I can see all the widows files. Still cant boot into windows.
Can open the boot.ini if that info helps.

Nermal
04-07-2008, 02:17 PM
Thanks Speedy.
Tried that. Just goes to
C:\Windows

Then type "fixboot" followed by "exit".

Colpol
04-07-2008, 02:26 PM
Then type "fixboot" followed by "exit".

Thanks Nermal.
Done that now being carefull
Do I want to write a new bootsector to partition C ????????????????

Speedy Gonzales
04-07-2008, 02:28 PM
Reboot

Colpol
04-07-2008, 03:11 PM
Done that.
On reboot I get

GRUB Loading please wait

Error17

:groan:

Nermal
04-07-2008, 03:13 PM
Just to check: Did you answer Yes when fixboot asked you to confirm?

Colpol
04-07-2008, 03:42 PM
I answered yes then it came back and told me that the new bootsector was successfully written.

Nermal
04-07-2008, 06:01 PM
Hmm, that should've worked :confused:

Colpol
05-07-2008, 09:01 AM
Thanks for trying guys.
I guess the only option left is to reinstall the whole system unless anyone else has any bright ideas.

gary67
05-07-2008, 09:11 AM
I had the same problem in the end I rebuilt my system it was time for an upgrade anyway

Speedy Gonzales
05-07-2008, 09:12 AM
So whats in boot.ini now?? If you can see it?

Change the bootdisk

wainuitech
05-07-2008, 09:16 AM
Looking back through the posts - I cant actually see if you are getting past the password you mentioned getting stuck on -

You need to boot from the windows XP CD, select R to repair windows, you will then see To the Which Windows installation would you like to log onto question, press 1 and then Enter.

At the password, leave it blank and press enter, you should then be at the recovery consoles command prompt.

At the command prompt , you should have C:\Windows> type in bootcfg /rebuild hit enter,

#The first prompt asks Add installation to boot list? (Yes/No/All).

#Type Y in response to this question and press Enter.

#The next prompt asks you to Enter Load Identifier:.

#This is the name of the operating system. For example, type Windows XP Professional or Windows XP Home Edition and press Enter.

The final prompt asks you to Enter OS Load options:.

#Type /Fastdetect here and press Enter.

Take out the Windows XP CD, type exit and then press Enter to restart your PC.

Assuming that a missing or corrupt boot.ini file was your only issue, Windows XP should now start normally.

Those listed instructions were copied from here (http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/ht/repairbootini.htm) < Saves writing them out - I'm being lazy :)

PS: I have also put bold to some of the above text - self explanatory really.

The above works if its only a boot loader, I do this quite a bit, but do it from memory.

Colpol
05-07-2008, 09:36 AM
Thanks WT.
I am running ubantu from disk and can access the widows boot.ini file.

It currently reads as follows

[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

Colpol
05-07-2008, 09:43 AM
Re your query about getting past the password.
Yes I did.
I wasnt prepared for a dos prompt and was looking for something graphical. Once I got that sorted I typed fixboot and received a success message back.

wainuitech
05-07-2008, 09:48 AM
Thanks WT.
I am running ubantu from disk and can access the widows boot.ini file.

It currently reads as follows

[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]

Looking at a standard boot file and comparing to the one posted:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOW S
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home" /fastdetect

Never tried this with Ubuntu, (you may need to right click the hard Drive and change the read/write properties) - but see if you can edit the following - Where it says Partition (2) in both lines, change the 2 to a 1 and remove the /NoExecute=OptIn

Assuming Windows is in Partition 1 it should boot. Fingers x-ed

If that doesn't work, are you able to boot from the XP CD and enter the recovery Console as I mentioned above?

Colpol
05-07-2008, 09:55 AM
If that doesn't work, are you able to boot from the XP CD and enter the recovery Console as I mentioned above?[/QUOTE]

Yes I can.
will try the edit and see how it goes. The worst that can happen is that I will need to reload the lot and I am becoming resigned to that idea

Colpol
05-07-2008, 10:12 AM
Was able to edit the boot.ini through Ubantu. Changed it as per your suggestion.
Still same result

Grub loading please wait....
Error 17

Went back in through ubantu and confirmed that the changes were done.

wainuitech
05-07-2008, 10:14 AM
Nope:: Dont need to relaod the lot, you can do a repair install, but it shouldn't be needed if you can enter the recovery Console.

IF you do a repair install, it's meant to leave your data alone, and repiar/reinstall Windows.

I'll post this now just in case I have a couple of jobs to go to.

Heres how:

You will need your 25 digit product key for this.

Place XP CD in drive: Reboot or shutdown and start PC.

1.When the Press any key to boot from CD message is displayed on your screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD.

2.Press ENTER when you see the message To setup Windows XP now, and then press ENTER displayed on the Welcome to Setup screen.

3.Do not choose the option to press R to use the Recovery Console.

4.In the Windows XP Licensing Agreement, press F8 to agree to the license agreement.

5.Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected in the box, and then press R to repair Windows XP.

NOTE: if it doesn't locate your old OS STOP! As any further actions may result in wiping your data.

6.Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Setup.

Colpol
05-07-2008, 10:30 AM
5.Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected in the box, and then press R to repair Windows XP.

Got through to here. The screen does not show an OS but shows the two drives and partitions on those drives and asks where to install.

Selected the drive that has the OS on it and it is now wanting to format so I stopped

wainuitech
05-07-2008, 12:32 PM
Okay - Looks like Ubuntu has screwed something big time - Sometimes this works some times doesn't - If you can boot from the XP CD, log into the recovery Console - As Long as you can see C:\Windows> type in chkdsk press Enter.

If that doesn't work, log in recovery console from C:\Windows> type in fixmbr <Enter> agree= to any prompts

Did you try the suggestion in post 24?

IF that doesn't work, you can try creating in a new boot file, log into the recovery Console, type in bootcfg /add
Follow the instruction through to put in a New boot file, Details from previous posts of standard boot.ini

Colpol
05-07-2008, 01:11 PM
No I didnt try that. (tried editing the boot.ini through Ubantu. Was able to alter it and save it but it made no difference)

Should I try that (#24)before I do the chkdsk etc you suggested

wainuitech
05-07-2008, 02:38 PM
Run Chkdsk first, I suspect it wont actually fix the problem, but what it may do is sort out the files that have been altered as something may be causing the boot loader to still read incorrectly.

As Highlighted in #24 "Assuming that a missing or corrupt boot.ini file was your only issue"

Try them all 1 at a time, if those dont work then theres something that's not right that could take hours to fix - you got to know when to say "Enough" and start it again - bit like one of my servers went belly up Thursday - tried to fix it but no joy, even the repair installed failed - saving data to another disk now and reinstalling from fresh in a few minutes - will take about 30 minutes with the recovery systems I use, then dump the data back.

Colpol
05-07-2008, 03:12 PM
Thanks for that WT. Will give them a go as you suggest.

Interesting development.
I was exiting from the repair about where it wanted to format. It tried to restart and came up with an error

Windows could not start as the following file is missing or corrupt.
(windows root)\system 32\hal.dll
Please reinstall a copy of the above file

Woiuld this be the, or part of the, problem?

J_Joyce
05-07-2008, 04:43 PM
Go back into the recovery console on your windows cd. Fixmbr is the command you are looking for. I've had the same problem in the past when grub took over the boot section of my drive. Just type fixmbr hit enter and choose yes

Colpol
05-07-2008, 05:02 PM
Thanks J
Tried that.
Said it had fixed it.
Didnt work. Still looking for hal.dll

Getting sick of stuffing around. Almost ready to reinstall. LOL

Speedy Gonzales
05-07-2008, 05:05 PM
Since theres 2 different hdd's, last time I used Ubuntu.

All I did was boot into windows and format the other hdd. Copied the boot.ini I had copied previously back into boot.ini, saved it and rebooted. That was it

Windows booted by itself

wainuitech
05-07-2008, 05:12 PM
two options with hal.dll , (thats the hardware layer)

Start the recovery console - ( think you know how now) You need to expand the CD to extract a new hal.dll ---

At the command prompt expand d:\i386\hal.dl_ c:\windows\system32\hal.dll. Substitute d: for the drive letter of your CD.

Once you have expanded the file type "exit" to exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer.

If that doesn't work -

Boot from your XP CD and follow the directions to start Recovery Console ( again ;) ) . Then: ( hit enter after each line)

Attrib -H -R -S C:\Boot.ini
DEL C:\Boot.ini
BootCfg /Rebuild
Fixboot

mzee
05-07-2008, 05:19 PM
All of the above has just happened to me.
Computer running Windows xp pro & Puppy 4 Linux.
Installed Ubuntu 8.04 from PC World DVD (made CD) on an ext2 logical partition.
Result was that Windows would not boot any more, Puppy still worked.
Restored Windows from Acronis Image, still no go. Booted with XP CD and repaired MBR & Boot. Still nothing!!
Reformatted (with Puppy) the ext2 to remove Ubuntu. Ditto Ptn1 then reinstalled XP & is now OK.
I have no idea what went wrong, but nothing worked. I have never had this problem with Linux before, and have various flavours of Linux on all the time.

By the way, Puppy is great for dealing to Windows, recovering files etc.

Nermal
05-07-2008, 05:20 PM
A GRUB error would indicate that it's not getting as far as boot.ini.

There are two parts to GRUB. The first sits in either the boot sector or the MBR (I've forgotten which). This contains enough code to switch to your Linux partition and load the rest of GRUB. However, since that drive's been formatted, it's failing to load.

fixboot should've removed GRUB from the boot sector and replaced it with a standard Windows one. However, maybe fixmbr is required.

Edit: Wikipedia says that it's in the MBR, not the boot sector. fixmbr should be what you need.

In summary: Get back to the recovery console and type "fixmbr". Say yes if prompted to overwrite it.

Edit 2: I should read the whole thread next time; it sounds like you're past there now.

Speedy Gonzales
05-07-2008, 05:21 PM
BTW speaking of Ubuntu 8.04.1 just came out

Colpol
05-07-2008, 05:37 PM
Since theres 2 different hdd's, last time I used Ubuntu.

All I did was boot into windows and format the other hdd. Copied the boot.ini I had copied previously back into boot.ini, saved it and rebooted. That was it

Windows booted by itself

Thanks Speedy.
I originaly had ubantu on the second drive. Did as suggested at the start of this thread and formated the second drive to delete ubantu. That started it LOL.
Have a backup of the boot.ini and changing the existing one to the same as the backup doesnt seem to make any difference.

wainuitech
05-07-2008, 05:38 PM
Just in case you missed it - try post #39.

Edited: Have a look at the comment on #34, if the above doesn't work, reformat after transferring the data to another medium, with Ubuntu Live CD.

As per my own problem - #34- time to know when to move on - server is back up and running sweet as, just transferring 120Gb (Approx) of data back now.

Colpol
05-07-2008, 05:41 PM
two options with hal.dll , (thats the hardware layer)

Start the recovery console - ( think you know how now) You need to expand the CD to extract a new hal.dll ---

At the command prompt expand d:\i386\hal.dl_ c:\windows\system32\hal.dll. Substitute d: for the drive letter of your CD.

Once you have expanded the file type "exit" to exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer.

If that doesn't work -

Boot from your XP CD and follow the directions to start Recovery Console ( again ;) ) . Then: ( hit enter after each line)

Attrib -H -R -S C:\Boot.ini
DEL C:\Boot.ini
BootCfg /Rebuild
Fixboot

Thanks WT.
Will definatly give this a go tomorrow. Tea is ready and AB test coming up. Will let you know how it goes.

Colpol
05-07-2008, 06:51 PM
Hi Wt.
Did first suggestion, Got message "unable to create file hal.dll"

Tried second suggestion and got "Parameter is not valid" when I entered Attrib -H -R -S C:\boot.ini

wainuitech
05-07-2008, 07:13 PM
Just noticed a slight typo in the command, where it says \system32\.hal. remove the last dot, should read system32\.hal

You can also try from the recovery console - this may work -

Type the following comamds:

cd\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386

copy hal.dll c:\Windows\System32.

The last thing I can think of doing is go to here (http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?hal) download the .hal - you then need to extract it and be able to save it to a floppy or something like that, or load the drive as a slave in another PC, and copy the .hal to the x:\windows\system32 folder
(where x: is the drive letter where windows was installed on the slave disk).

Speedy Gonzales
05-07-2008, 07:21 PM
One thing tho, as it says here (http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/missing-corrupted-hal-dll-t53636.html)

The hal.dll file on another PC may not work on yours or another, depending on the hardware thats in it

Colpol
05-07-2008, 08:17 PM
WT

Just noticed a slight typo in the command, where it says \system32\.hal. remove the last dot, should read system32\.hal

Can you rechech your typing. To many . in wrong places LOL

wainuitech
05-07-2008, 09:43 PM
expand x:\i386\hal.dl_ c:\windows\system32\hal.dll

(where x: is the drive letter where windows was installed on the slave disk)

or from the CD:

At the command prompt expand d:\i386\hal.dl_ c:\windows\system32\hal.dll

Colpol
06-07-2008, 09:07 AM
Thanks to all who tried to help me.
"The time has come the walrus said".
Enough mucking around. Just gonna bit the bullet and do a reinstall.
Thank once again to all.

communal
06-07-2008, 10:23 AM
hi, i haven't read the whole thread. but you can either fix the master boot record with a windows cd and typing fixmbr at the recovery console. here are some links
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/ht/repairmbr.htm
http://askbobrankin.com/fix_mbr.html
http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/483/xp_repair_fix_master_boot_record_recovery_console

or, if you don't have a windows cd you can use MbrFix.exe from here i think, ther are other useful links there too! -
http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/hermanzone/p18.htm

or probably with supergrubdisk
http://www.supergrubdisk.org/

you can fix grub here -
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=76652

it might seem frightening when your computer won't boot, but the fixes aren't too difficult :)

communal
06-07-2008, 10:42 AM
i had a quick look through the last two pages. the hal error is because the boot.ini is wrong you need to fix that otherwise windows won't be able to boot when you select it.

reinstalling grub will let you boot both windows and ubuntu, and fixmbr will let you boot in to windows only, but only after the boot.ini has been fixed. just do a search for 'default boot.ini' if you need to.