PDA

View Full Version : YouTube vs. Viacom: Google’s IP wins; Users lose

SurferJoe46
04-07-2008, 02:32 AM
CAUTION: CLICKING ON THE FOLLOWING LINK WILL OPEN A WEBPAGE
WITH A DIALOG OF OVER 30 WORDS
AND SOME OF THE WORDS ARE LONGER THAN 4 LETTERS.
Just a warning.

The latest battle in Google’s ongoing court battle with Viacom over YouTube copyright infringement is a glass half full or half empty situation. In the half full department, Google scored a legal victory as a judge shot down Viacom requests for the search giant’s search code and other critical intellectual property. In the half empty department, Google is being forced to turn over YouTube user histories to Viacom.

LINK (http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=9242&tag=nl.e539)

This is a flagrant abuse of the court system...watch and see if Google/YouTube don't counter sue and file an appeal. The fat lad's not even practicing her scales yet.

rob_on_guitar
04-07-2008, 02:37 AM
CAUTION: CLICKING ON THE FOLLOWING LINK WILL OPEN A WEBPAGE
WITH A DIALOG OF OVER 30 WORDS
AND SOME OF THE WORDS ARE LONGER THAN 4 LETTERS.
Just a warning.

The latest battle in Google’s ongoing court battle with Viacom over YouTube copyright infringement is a glass half full or half empty situation. In the half full department, Google scored a legal victory as a judge shot down Viacom requests for the search giant’s search code and other critical intellectual property. In the half empty department, Google is being forced to turn over YouTube user histories to Viacom.

LINK (http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=9242&tag=nl.e539)

This is a flagrant abuse of the court system...watch and see if Google/YouTube don't counter sue and file an appeal. The fat lad's not even practicing her scales yet.

You know America is missing out on prime reality tv with these cases lol

SurferJoe46
04-07-2008, 10:23 AM
There is NO reality here in the US. We admire NZ for having some to compensate for our lack thereof.

Nermal
04-07-2008, 11:15 AM
What is defined as "watching" a video? Let's assume that a friend sent me a link in MSN saying "watch this". I may then click that link, see its title, and decide not to watch it (by closing the window). Would this still be counted as a "watch" in YouTube's system? Is it tracked on page load, or when you get to the end of the video? Or once you get to say, 30 seconds through the video?

In theory (I certainly don't expect this to actually happen), could I potentially get in trouble for visiting a page containing unlicensed Viacom content, even if I didn't actually watch the content?

SurferJoe46
04-07-2008, 11:57 AM
I think with that sortta attitude, you should be watched, fined and beaten for just thinking of loopholes.