PDA

View Full Version : Desparate need of Maxtor D540X hard drive

cstevens
03-07-2008, 10:12 AM
A friend gave me his neighbour's aging Packard Bell to sort some "issues", but the major finding was a fault on the hard drive logic board, rendering the drive inoperative. The owners were keen to recover some family photographs off the drive, so I considered swapping the logic board from a working drive - I've had success with such an operation in the past. The problem was that the 40GB drive is less common that others - itís a Maxtor D540X-4K. I've been watching Trademe etc for such a drive to appear, but have found nothing so far, but the job was never urgent.

However - the situation has changed.

The trajic loss of a young family member has elevated the status of the work to "desparate" - the drive contains photographs that have a new significance to the family.

Would anyone be able to put their hands on a Maxtor D540X hard drive? Happy to exchange anything comparable.

Thanks in anticipation

jwil1
03-07-2008, 10:27 AM
You could try taking the HD to a data recovery firm and getting them to attempt to recover data on it for you. Might be quicker than waiting for someone to see if they have one :)

Would cost more though..

Edit: Looking at this site, it would seem that they are not of great quality....
http://icrontic.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42086

Get the firm to transfer it to something reliable like a Seagate. 80GB for $80 from Ascent.co.nz. Includes 5 year warranty (not against data loss though - just HD failing)

pctek
03-07-2008, 10:59 AM
fault on the hard drive logic board, rendering the drive inoperative. The owners were keen to recover some family photographs off the drive, so I considered swapping the logic board from a working drive

Sad that they didn't think to back up before disaster struck.

DeSade
03-07-2008, 11:00 AM
I may have one of those, I know I have several older Maxtor models in my parts stash.
Will look tonight when I get home.

cstevens
03-07-2008, 09:52 PM
pctek - you're right of course, but it wouldn't be right to offer the family that advice now.
We live in hope.

cstevens
03-07-2008, 09:53 PM
Thanks DeSade - anxiously awaiting your findings.

DeSade
04-07-2008, 09:10 AM
I found a few Maxtor but I had more than that I am sure.
They must be in my storage.
I am going there tonight so I will look while I am there.

autechre
04-07-2008, 11:00 AM
Check ebay too. I got a replacement Maxtor off there to help me restore some files from a drive whose logic board had gone.