PDA

View Full Version : Monitor problem

Richard Morriss
03-07-2008, 10:10 AM
I have a Toshiba Satellite 1800 notebook running XP Professional.
I recently purchased an LCD TV (Philips 42 inch HD) and am trying to get it to connect to the notebook.

I have followed the Toshiba instructions to connect the cable between the computer and the TV, then turn on the TV, then the computer.

When the computer starts up I get the Windows XP Pro starting up screen on the TV OK, then it blanks out as the computer boots up, and then the computer screen starts up and I get the login screen on it only. The TV screen stays blank.

After logging in and the computer is fully booted up, I get the normal desktop on the computer screen, but just the desktop background comes up on the TV with no icons or anything else. If I change the desktop background picture on the computer, that updates to the TV as well, but nothing else goes to the TV.

My main intended use for using the TV as a monitor is to run photos on the computer and have them come up on the big screen, but no go yet.
How can I fix this so I can use the TV as a proper monitor?

Speedy Gonzales
03-07-2008, 10:16 AM
Right mouse / properties on the desktop. See if there's an option to "turn the signal on" to the TV. Under settings / advanced somewhere.

Usually the drivers on a computer, have to support, what you're trying to do.

What kind of connection is on the laptop (the one where the TV is connected to)?

jwil1
03-07-2008, 10:24 AM
Right-click Desktop>Properties>Settings

Click the large '2' and untick "Extend my Windows desktop..."

Click OK and both images should be the same.

(or use your graphics card's software to turn off extended desktop and turn on display clone).

headbutts
07-07-2008, 05:57 PM
Hi, Have had a similar problem. Got it sorted by enabeling the second monitor under Settings, Control Panel, Display, Settings and enabeling the second monitor.
Have a large black space on either side and can't get full screen. Anyone know how?
Cheers,
Headbutts