PDA

View Full Version : MS Access

Bantu
02-07-2008, 02:30 PM
I have a very extensive Kindergarten Database I created and maintain.
Kids FirstName LastName Session

Some may come different amount of sessions per week, anything from 1 to 5 and either Morning or Afternoon.

I can draw out into in many ways but I want to draw it out in a Form or Report so it looks something like this;

Joe Bloggs MonAM, WedAM, FriAM
Jenny Bloggs TuePM
Trev Brown WedPM ThuPM FriPM
Jane Brown MonAM TueAM WedAM ThuAM FriAM

You get the idea.

What I can currently get is;
Joe Bloggs
MonAM
WedAM
FriAM

Anyone know how to get it to run the other way?
Access 2003 or 2007 depending on which PC I use

nofam
02-07-2008, 03:18 PM
So you have 3 fields in your table called Kids FirstName, LastName and Session
?

Have you got the data into a report now, or are you just running a query so far?

stormdragon
02-07-2008, 03:59 PM
Go into design view for the report and move the boxes containing the information you want to your chosen layout.

Bantu
02-07-2008, 04:31 PM
stormdragon If it were that easy I would have done it.

nofam yes that is three fields I have. However it is a complex database.
I assumed it would be simple to have the field display across instead of down.
http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/relationships.jpg

nofam
02-07-2008, 05:22 PM
Hmmm yes I would have thought it was easy too, as databases tend to run 'across' instead of 'up & down' due to the way records run (that's a massive simplification I know)

To be honest, I'd look at simplifying your relationships - I suspect one of your issues is that the number of joins you have is restricting your recordset.

If you need to group records together for your final output, try doing it with several sub-queries, and bring them back together at the end.

stormdragon
02-07-2008, 05:31 PM
stormdragon If it were that easy I would have done it.

Why cant the boxes on the forms and reports be moved all the databases I've created they can, have you put some restriction in place to prevent editing?

Bantu
02-07-2008, 09:10 PM
Because "session" (which you refer to as the "box") gives the information for MonAM, WedAM, FriAM etc one below the other, not MonAM, WedAM, FriAM in a line.

The "box" you refer to is the field.

IF it were a separate field for each session then I could move it but it is not.

stormdragon
02-07-2008, 09:22 PM
IF it were a separate field for each session then I could move it but it is not.

Gotcha hadn't realised the information was stored all in one field should have looked at your relationship diagram more closely.

The "box" you refer to is the field.

Its kinda both, its a text box in the form or report, which is set to display the contents of the field in a determined table.