PDA

View Full Version : Laptop unable to boot after Norton Internet Security 2008 upgrade

Ming S
02-07-2008, 11:11 AM
Went to upgrade to Norton Internet Security 2008. Went through process after receiving free upgrade popup from Norton.

Laptop now cannot boot up. Norton GoBack is installed, but when I press <spacebar> to enter it says there are no past points to restore to (although I re-booted especially before the IS08 install).

If I allow bootup to continue it gets as far as the Windows xp loading screen and then shuts down and begins re-start again.

Any suggestions as to how to be able to get the computer going again would be really appreciated.
Thanks

[part of this post appeared previously on my thread about malware]

nofam
02-07-2008, 11:14 AM
Can you boot into safe mode?

Reboot your PC, and tap the F8 key until you get a boot menu. If you can get that far, uninstall NIS.

Are you using XP? If so, have you recently installed SP3?

Speedy Gonzales
02-07-2008, 11:37 AM
See your other post (http://pressf1.co.nz/showthread.php?t=89857)

The prob maybe if SP3 is installed as well. That had issues with Symantec / Norton programs (corruption)

Its probably something similar to this (http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,146228-page,1/article.html?tk=rl_noinform)

Ming S
03-07-2008, 12:39 PM
On safe mode I get as far as a file giveio.sys before it halts and tries to reboot.

On some other option (I'm getting more confused as I get more cross) a blue screen came up and said

STOP: 0.0000007B 0.F79BB528 0.0.C0000034 0.0000000 0.0000000

Any help? Any hope?

Is it likely the laptop is beyond redemption - and all my data and programs that are not backed up are lost - or do you think a repair person could do something?

Thanks.

Speedy Gonzales
03-07-2008, 12:44 PM
Get this (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=6adaf000-e2aa-4eaf-81f4-6af385768280&DisplayLang=en)

And do this if you can. REMEMBER to boot into safe mode

Altho, this may not help if giveio.sys hangs in safe mode too

How to apply the hotfix

1. Download the hotfix package.

Important The remaining steps must be completed in Safe Mode.

2. Restart the computer in Safe Mode. To restart the computer in Safe Mode, follow these steps.

Note Print these instructions before you continue.

a. Click Start, and then click Shut Down.

b. In the Shut Down Windows dialog box, select Restart in the What do you want the computer to do list, and then click OK.

c. After the computer restarts but before Windows XP starts, press F8.

d. Use the arrow keys to select the Safe Mode option, and then press ENTER.

3. Extract the hotfix that you downloaded. To do this, follow these steps: a. Double-click the hotfix package. This step extracts the Fixccs.exe file.

b. Select a location to which you want to save the file.

c. Click OK when the file is extracted.

4. Locate and double-click the Fixccs.exe file. A Command Prompt window opens, and the necessary tasks are performed. The Command Prompt window closes automatically after all tasks are completed.

5. When the necessary tasks are completed, restart the computer in normal mode.

You could try removing the hdd and put it in a working system. See whats in boot.ini.. It looks like that file can add itself here