PDA

View Full Version : Internet games

nerd
01-07-2008, 05:34 PM
i tried doing a internet game thing with my friends but for the ip it keeps saying 10.1.1.3 for all of us what are we doing wrong?

dugimodo
01-07-2008, 05:47 PM
a little more explanation might be needed. 10.1.1.3 is a local network address handed out by your router, it is the correct address for your pc on the local network but is not your internet IP address. To host a multiplayer game over the internet (and possibly to connect to one) from behind a broadband router you need to do some port forwarding to allow a port from the internet to accept incoming connections and pass them directly onto the pc.

Try googling "port forwarding" and also google what ports / protocols are required by your game. I'm afraid it's not a simple process at first.

p.s. oops, forgot to say - to find out your real ip there are websites that will report it back to you, or else you can log on to the router and find it there somewhere. Someone on here will remember better than me how to find it

nerd
01-07-2008, 05:49 PM
oh thanks

Trev
01-07-2008, 08:23 PM
https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2
This link well give you your IP address. Just scroll down the page a bit.
:)

Speedy Gonzales
01-07-2008, 08:53 PM
And you may have to give your ip in windows a static ip (instead of being on AUTO).

As some routers wont work / allow you to use port forwarding / add ports until you change your ip in windows, to a static ip.